Spicy Honey Chicken Wings
“Crunchy fried wings glazed in a spicy honey sauce and served with bread and butter pickles! It’s a party of flavors and textures for your taste buds!”
Visual learner? Watch me make this spic fried chicken from start to finish!
Listen! Are you listening? Ok, look. I’m not crazy about bread and butter pickles. Sure, most Southerners love them some bread and butter pickles, but it’s a no for me.
However, paired with these spicy honey chicken wings, something other-worldly happens! They are so good together!! Like peanut butter and chocolate or Michelle and President Barack Obama good together. It just works!
I first got hipped to the flavor pairing of spicy honey + bread and butter pickles when I visited a restaurant in Disney Springs called Chef Art Smith Homecomin’.
He paired his spicy honey chicken with a cheddar biscuit and bread and butter pickles and I nearly lost my mind from this odd but delicious combination! Not to mention we washed it all down with Moonshine sweet tea! If you’re ever at Disney Springs be sure to try out this appetizer.
Before I tasted it I thought, ick what a God awful sounding combo! Whodathunkit!!! Since that day, I was a believer! It’s one of those flavor pairings you just gotta try to understand fully.
I knew I wanted to get back home and try this flavor combo, and I’m finally getting around to it with these spicy honey chicken wings.
DO. NOT. MAKE. THESE. WINGS. UNLESS. YOU. PLAN. ON. SERVING. WITH. BREAD.AND. BUTTER. PICKLES. Sorry to use capitals on you, but seriously, this recipe is made to go alongside bread and butter pickles. It’s kept simple with no additional spices and herbs in the sauce to mesh well with the pickles.
These spicy honey chicken wings paired with bread and butter pickles will make you do the happy dance. It’s that explosion of sweet, spicy, buttery, peppery, vinegary, and that lovely crunch! It just makes your taste buds happy.
When I made these wings, my husband eyed me curiously. He is also not a bread and butter pickle fan but couldn’t stop eating them. His exact words, “you’ve created something dangerous with these things.”
What brand of Bread & Butter Pickles To Get For Spicy Honey Chicken Wings?
If you’re not using homemade, go with Grillos Bread and Butter Pickles. These are the BEST bread and butter pickles I’ve ever had in my life and I’ve had MANY. They are so crisp and fresh with simple ingredients. I can actually eat these plain and that’s saying a lot! I get mine from Target. (This is not sponsorship by the way. This brand just knows how to make some daggum good pickles that taste homemade).
Can I leave off the bread and butter pickles with these wings?
No. Serve bread and butter pickles on the side. Yes I’m being bossy. If you’re making this recipe in nugget or chicken tender form, insert a toothpick and pickle with each piece. The sauce for these wings is simply honey, butter and Cholula hot sauce. Very plain. But ok FINE!!! If you just insist on skipping the pickles then add seasonings to the sauce (garlic powder, brown sugar, onion powder, black pepper, ginger, mustard powder and a bit of celery salt to add more flavor and depth to the wings). Or, even better, just don’t skip the pickles and you wont have to worry about all that : )
Want more wings?
Get the Recipe: Spicy Honey Fried Chicken Wings
- 4 lbs chicken wings, washed & dried
- 1/2 tablespoon salt or seasoning salt
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup flour
Spicy Honey Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, I used Choluah
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1 cup Bread & Butter Pickles, I use Grillo's brand
- Mix together salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over chicken, using your hands to massage the spices into the chicken. Set aside.
- Add flour to a shallow dish.
- Coat chicken wings in flour , shaking off excess and place wings on a baking sheet.
- Allow flour to absorb into the chicken a little (about 15-20 minutes) and then re-coat in flour.
- Cover baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove wings from fridge and allow to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes)
- Meanwhile create the sauce by melting butter in a large skillet.
- Stir in honey and hot sauce.
- Bring to a light simmer and simmer just until sauce begins to thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Turn heat to low or warm and stir in parsley flakes. Set aside.
- To fry the chicken, heat peanut oil in a deep skillet.
- Fry the wings in batches until golden.
- Place cooked wings on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath to catch the oil.
- Toss wings in spicy honey sauce until completely glazed in sauce.
- Place glazed chicken on a platter and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Top with bread and butter pickles or serve the pickles in a dish beside the wings.