Easy Lasagna Soup
“Easy Lasagna Soup that the whole family will love! Full of beef, noodles, tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh herbs and lots of cheese!”
“Mommy, what’s for dinner?” My kids have asked this question daily since the moment they learned how to talk, for real.
Good Lord, we seriously have to legit feed these Lil humans several times a day, huh? This makes me realize just how blessed I was growing up.
My ma and Grandma Barb cooked Every. Single. Freakin. Day. And not just dinner, I’m talking about breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. All from scratch and complete with sides and drink. Oh, what I would give to go back and fully appreciate my childhood.
I remember ma saying plenty of times whenever we’d complain about something, “Yall don’t know how good you got it! Wait until you’re an adult you’ll be begging to be a kid again”.
Ma, I get it, and you were right. And thank you. I bow to the queen.
Now back to the present. I cook a lot but not every day. Sometimes we grab fast food or some other packages meal. Oh hello, ramen noodles, so glad to see ya!
I have no regrets, really. Good memories are made around these hectic times. Like eating Tacos 4 Life (yum!) because we’re busy playing at the park or hitting up Chick-fi-la (yum again) because of an impromptu field trip that kept us out later than normal. Sometimes I’m just exhausted, so cereal for dinner it is!
A Dinner Schedule For The Win!
Recently, my brilliant husband calmly stepped in and created a dinner schedule lol. I guess he saw that I was out of control after our 3rd night of eating Mochicas!
The dinner schedule is pretty darn cool. We form teams with the boys to get them involved. My hubby and Isaac cook dinner twice a week, Ethan and I cook dinner three times a week, once a week we have family dinner out, and Saturday’s hubby and I both cook.
We are a super competitive family and this routine works because we’ve got a lil competition going on who cooks the best dinner. Ethan and I took home the bragging rights this week with this Lasagna Soup!
I’m always writing down dinner ideas that are quick, easy, and family-friendly. I live for these kinds of meals that I can throw together, and everyone gobbles down and talk about how good it is.
This easy lasagna soup checks all the boxes! I made this at the beginning of winter, and we all loved it. It’s a simple soup that you can prepare quickly on a weekday or meal prepped on a Sunday.
This lasagna soup’s got all that lasagna goodness; beef, tomato sauce, lasagna noodles, cheese, and fresh herbs. Add a side of garlic bread and chopped caesar salad, and you’ve got yourself a quick, wholesome dinner that everyone will love.!
It’s so easy to customize this lasagna soup! Sometimes I’ll throw in spinach, and spicy sausage. Don’t skip the cheese finale! It’s a must! I like to top mines with a crap-load of mozzarella cheese or smoked cheese, but ricotta works well too!
How to Make The BEST Easy Lasagna Soup
- Used seasoned tomatoes. I love using the basil, garlic, and oregano canned tomatoes or the fire-roasted chopped tomatoes! It just adds some extra goodness to the mix!
- Use a mixture of meats. Whatever meats you like in your lasagna, then use it in this soup! I often go with plain beef, breakfast sausage or ground turkey, but Italian sausage is amazing as well! I’ve even add chopped pepperoni before. So good!
- Cook the lasagna according to package until al dente. Be careful not to overcook, soggy noodles are ick! I’ve tried cooking the lasagna in the sauce and prefer to do it separately. The texture of the noodles seemed off to me when cooked in the soup.
- SEASON.TASTE.SEASON.TASTE. Seriously. The spice measurements in this recipe are to help, but it’s important that you taste and adjust it to your taste buds. I like a bold soup so I add lots of spices. The chicken broth I use (Better Than Bouillon) is also pretty salty so I don’t need to add much salt, but you may need to.
This lasagna soup reheats very well, and just like lasagna, tastes even better the next day!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do!
Want more soup?
Get the Recipe: Easy Lasagna Soup
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes, (I used basil, oregano, garlic kind)
- 30 oz canned tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ricotta cheese, (optional)
- mozzarella, shredded
- fresh parsley
Prepare The Noodles
- Cook lasagna noodles al dente according to package and drain.
- Let noodles cool and then cut into bite-sized squares. Set aside.
Prepare the Soup
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add onions.
- Saute until onions are tender and then add garlic.
- Cook garlic until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and cook until beef is browned, and then drain off the fat.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.
- Stir in basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Add bay leaf and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in prepared lasagna noodles.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of ricotta (if using), shredded mozzarella cheese, and fresh parsley.