Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
“Easy, creamy homemade chicken pot pie soup recipe full of chicken and veggies with scratch-made, buttery pie crust bites.”
“Rain rain go away. I just got my hair done today. Little Monique wants to play. So come again some other day” That’s how the nursery rhyme should go!!
As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE cuddly, rainy days…I’m kinda like..over it. So listen up hurricane Jayquan or whatever your name is, it’s time to wrap this lil tantrum up and move along mm-kay! It’s been raining for over a week now and mama needs some fresh, warm sunshine in my life ASAP!! Geeeeez Louise! Ok… rant over. I feel better.
What’s the point of complaining anyway right? Today I decided to make the best of the rain by cooking up a pot of this easy, comforting chicken pot pie soup. Rainy days and homemade soup just goes hand in hand! And not too many things exudes comfort like some piping hot, homemade chicken pot pie! Combine the two and you have comfort overload!
This soup is EVERYTHING! If you love chicken pot pie or even if you don’t (I’m not a huge fan myself), you’ll love this creamy, flavorful chicken pot pie soup. And those buttery, flaky crust bites! Mercy! I went through two bowls while I cuddled up on the couch and watched reruns of Golden Girls. Somehow the rain just made this even better!
This pot of soup didn’t make it past lunchtime, even Isaac, who doesn’t like mixed vegetable or potatoes, ate it. Ethan just picked out all the chicken and dipped his pie crust bites. Can’t win them all!
I made up an extra batch to place in the freezer because I know we’ll want more within the next few chilly weeks ahead. Be sure to season the soup really well or else it will taste….blah! The spices really perk up all the flavors! I used parsley, basil, black pepper, salt, celery salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Watch me make this Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1.2 lbs chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- PIE CRUST..
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, shredded or chopped into tiny pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- SOUP ...
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 14.5 oz can diced New Potatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen classic mixed vegetables
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Soup Seasonings: parsley, basil, salt, celery salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- Let's Prep The Chicken!!
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Sprinkle spices over the top and bottom of the chicken.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool and cut chicken into small cubes or shred.Set aside.
- Let's Make The Pie Crust!
- In a large bowl sift together flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- Stir in cold water until mixture is moistened.
- Knead gently while gathering dough into a ball.
- Divide dough into two balls and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Let's Make the Soup!
- In a large pot melt butter.
- Add celery and onion and saute until tender.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Add mixed vegetables and potatoes.
- Bring to a light simmer and cook until vegetables a heated. Reduce heat to low.
- In a large sauce pan, melt 5 tablespoons butter.
- Whisk in flour and cook until golden.
- Slowly pour in milk and heavy cream stirring continuously.
- Bring to a light simmer and stir until thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour cream mixture into soup, stirring to combine.
- Now its time to season!!! Season to your liking adding a little bit of each seasoning and tasting after each addition.
- Keep heat on warm while preparing the pie crust bites.
- Let's make the pie crust bites!
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Flour a surface.
- Remove dough from fridge and knead gently to warm the dough.
- Knead and fold several times to create layers in the dough.
- Flatten the dough to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out desired shape.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom.
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
- Serve soup and top with pie crust bites.