Southern Cabbage- Quick & Easy!
Visual learner? Watch me make this southern cabbage recipe from start to finish!
Hey!! I’ve updated this Southern cabbage recipe!! Here is the revised version How to cook southern-style cabbage.
(No worries I’ve also left the original recipe intact below)
Cabbage is quickly becoming one of my favorite vegetable side dishes! Especially when it’s simmered in a flavorful broth like this recipe. If you’ve struggled with cooking cabbage in the past or hated the taste, then this is the recipe you want to make!
It creates one amazing pot of down-home, Southern-style cabbage that has been known to transform plenty of cabbage haters. Nothing fancy here, just some good ol’ cabbage that’s practically begging for a hunk of homemade cornbread!
How To Make the BEST Southern Cabbage
- Simmer, don’t boil- For this cabbage recipe, we’ll simmer it gently so that it cooks slow and low. This will result in tender, yet flavorful finished results! Simmering also cuts down on the smell a bit.
- Use chicken broth. Many Southern cabbage recipes rely on a little bit of water to cook the cabbage but chicken broth is the way to go for maximum flavor. You could also use vegetable broth.
- Add some spices. Onions and garlic are always a win with Southern cabbage but adding a few simple spices like seasoning salt, smoked salt, black pepper, onion powder or garlic powder can enhance the flavor even more.
- Don’t forget the butter! Butter adds such a nice flavor and finished texture to Southern cabbage.
Here is how I cook my basic cabbage. I love this southern cabbage recipe because it creates tender, yet slightly firm cabbage that is full of flavor, even the juice left in the pot tastes good!
Did you know that you can even use cabbage to lose weight? Check out my favorite cabbage soup diet!
Want to take this cabbage to the next level? Throw in some sauteed onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and smoked meat like I did with this fried cabbage recipe!
Get the Recipe: Southern Cabbage Recipe
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (plain, seasoned or smoked)
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1½-2 cups chicken broth
- Slice cabbage into quarters, removing & discarding the hard stem at the center.
- Slice each quarter into 1-inch wide strips. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add olive oil.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot, including the cabbage.
- Stir and bring to a boil, immediately reduce heat to a simmer, and cover.
- Simmer 12-15 minutes or until cabbage is tender to your liking. (Do not overcook or cabbage will be slimy)
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Thank you for giving me a recipe and video of the technique so I can create food from my childhood
Looks easy and delish, will have to try def. Thank You, Ann McLeod
I started using this recipe about 3 years ago. It is my go to all the time. Thank you diva!!