How To Cook Southern-Style Cabbage
“Super flavorful cabbage simmered in chicken broth, with onions, garlic, and smoked turkey. Seasoned with applewood smoked salt, black pepper, and doused with a little hot sauce!! “
Watch me make this Soulful, Southern-Style Cabbage from start to finish!
“Wow this cabbage is really, really good!” that’s a line I hear often when people eat this cabbage for the first time. I couldn’t agree more!
This southern cabbage has soul and it’s not afraid to show it honey! You really can’t go wrong with simmering cabbage in chicken broth. That’s MANDATORY! It just adds flavor and juiciness to every bite.
BUUUT when you add fresh sautéed’ onions, garlic and smoked turkey to the mix!! Lord have mercy!
ANNND then you have the nerve to season the cabbage with smoked salt and black pepper with a bit of hot sauce!! Ladies and gentlemen this it when you start venturing into “That’s some good eatin” territory!
This southern cabbage recipe is usually served as a side dish but this could totally be a meal on it’s own. Yep it’s that filling! I ended up serving this next day (because it’s ALWAYS the best the next day!) with my baked fried chicken, candied yams, mac n cheese, corn bread and sweet iced tea.
Needless to say, dinner was every bit of amazing and comforting. Every bit of what soul food is all about.
Simmer for as long as you desire, but don’t let it get too mushy! About 15 minutes works for me. I kinda like it when a few of the cabbage leaves still have a bit of a tender bite. To me, that is perfectly cooked!
The hot sauce is optional but man…it’s so good!!
Get the Recipe: How To Cook Soulful Cabbage Recipe
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced (can add more if desired)
- 2 cusp chicken broth
- 1 fully-cooked, smoked turkey wing or leg
- Smoked salt & pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, if desired
- Cut cabbage into quarters and then cut each quarter into strips. Set aside.
- In a large pot or deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onions and cook until semi-translucent.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth.
- Add in the smoked turkey. (You can add it in whole but I like to chop it up a bit so that all the meat is simmering with the broth)
- Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and toss.
- Cover and continue simmering (do not boil) until your desired firmness is reached, tossing cabbage mid-way.
- When cabbage is done removed the turkey and chop it up into small bits.
- Return smoked turkey to pot.
- Taste cabbage and season with smoked salt and black pepper.
- Serve with a splash of hot sauce if desired.
You might also like…..
Southern-Style Collard Greens
I, too, never thought of cabbage as a meal but you have made it so! I used smoked pig tails. The instruction to not cook it too too long was perfect. My hubby went back for thirds 😉 Me too!
I added hot sausage to mine instead of the turkey . Girl my family like to ran me over for more! Thank you for your recipe!
Sounds so good!
Love this recipe. Recently I wanted to make it, but had no cabbage so I used sauerkraut. Loved it. And yes, it can be a meal into itself.
What an creative idea Dana C. I think I will try it .
I never really thought of cabbage and great meal in the same sentence before but after making this dish for my family at new year’s meal along with collard greens and black eyed peas, wow! This is going to be added to my quick go to dish list. You have to make it to believe it. Thanks for the recipe! My family couldn’t get enough.