If you are looking for a from-scratch pie crust recipe that is easy, foolproof, and downright melt-in-your-mouth, then here ya go!!
Pie is ALWAYS in season…apple pie, pecan pie, sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate pie—so many pie possibilities. I’m smiling just thinking about it.
A good pie must first start with a good pie crust! Most homemade, from scratch pie crust recipes I’ve tried, are pretty bland, which probably isn’t the recipe’s fault. Pie crusts are usually boring in order not to compete with the pie itself. Understandable. Not agreeing, but understandable.
However, I’m a sucker for a scratch-made pie crust that has a buttery-biscuit flavor, just like my grandmas. I could eat that pie crust all by itself! Now that’s when you know you’ve got a good crust!
This pie crust is my go-to for just about all of my pies!
One of my readers told me that if you substitute the cold water for cold half n half, it takes the crust to a whole different level of yumminess! Well, she didn’t use those words, but I’m soooooo ready to try it out and see!! Thanks so much to whoever sent me that tip! I’ll update this post once I try the half &half method.
Watch me make this homemade pie crust recipe from start to finish
Best Homemade Pie Crust Recipe
By Divas Can Cook
- (makes 2 9-inch crusts)
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of cold butter
- ½ cup cold butter-flavored shortening
- ½ cup ice cold water (add more by the tablespoon if the dough is too dry)
- Step 1.) In a large bowl combine, flour, sugar, salt. Whisk until combined
- Step 2.) Cut in the butter and Crisco. Until it resembles large crumbs. (update-I now grate the butter into the flour)
- Step 3.) Add in cold water, stir gently just until combined.
- Step 4.) Gently shape the dough into a flattened disc. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 5.) Divide the dough into two balls. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Step 6.) Place into the pie plate. The crust is now ready for a filling.