*TRIED & TRUE* Soft n chewy red velvet cookies with a cream cheese filling! Easy, from-scratch cookie sandwich recipe”
Watch me make these soft n chewy red velvet cookie sandwiches from start to finish!
It’s the first day of December!! Which means it’s time to bring on all things sweet and all things red velvet!!
Hopefully, you’ve already made this red velvet cake which is one of the most popular cake recipes on my blog to date!
Oh and these amazingly chewy red velvet brownies!!
Today I’ve got another delicious red velvet recipe to add to the stash, Red Velvet Cookies w/ Cream Cheese Filling!!
These guys are, omg yall. Let’s just take a moment of silence.
Shhhh not yet.
That was for the extra stomach roll I created from eating batches of these.
Hey, January will be here before you know it so until then I’m going to explore the culinary world with joy and reckless abandonment!! Wanna join me!!?
We’ll start our journey by enjoying these ultra chewy red velvet cookie sandwiches! They. Are. So. Freaking. Delicious!
You keep these cookies in the fridge so the filling is like cheesecake and the cookie stays so soft and chewy.
They pack in an authentic red velvet taste which is slightly chocolatey, slightly vanilla, with a hint of buttermilk. The cream cheese filling just brings it right on home to the familiar red velvet territory!
Feel free to throw in some pecans or walnuts. My kids get all weirded out with nuts sometimes, so I left them out. But they sure would look pretty sprinkled around the sides of the filling.
These red velvet cookies are probably my new favorite cookie this season.
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper, set aside
- In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter.
- Mix in egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Stir in red food coloring. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Using a mini ice cream scoop, scoop out the dough and place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. (roll the balls to make them smoother on the surface)
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies sit in the pan for 1-2 minutes and then place on a cooling rack.
- To make the cream cheese filling, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract until combined.
- Place filling in a piping bag.
- Once cookies are cooled, pipe cream cheese filling in the center of a cookie and top with another cookie.
- Place in the fridge for at least 3 hours to set the filling.
- Store in the fridge.