There is something about a rainy day that makes me crave ooey-gooey, comforting grilled cheese sandwiches. It has been raining a lot here lately so today I decided to make up some of my grandma’s classic grilled cheese sandwiches!
Growing up I always preferred my grandma’s grilled cheese sandwich over my moms. Both were good, but there was just something special about grandmas that I couldn’t put my finger on. Turns out granny was using mayonnaise on the bread instead of butter! This produces a delicious, evenly browned, crisp bread with just the right amount of crunch. This recipe is so simple, but so worth having in your collection…ya know…for those rainy days.
Grandma's Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: lunch
- 2 slices of white bread
- Mayonnaise for spreading (the real kind of Mayonnaise no subbing here!)
- A pat of butter (to grease the skillet)
- ⅓ cup or more of cheddar cheese (I always mix cheddar and mozzarella)
- Melt a thin slice of butter on a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread a thin layer of Mayonnaise over a slice of bread and place mayonnaise side down on the skillet
- Sprinkle on cheese.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the other slice of bread and place it on top of the cheese, mayonnaise side up.
- Grill for about 3 minutes or until bottom bread is golden brown and then FLIP to grill the other side, until golden brown and the cheese is completely melted. This side will only take a minute or so. Keep an eye on it!
- Place on a plate, cut and enjoy!!
- I always slice mine at a diagonal. It just doesn't quite taste the same if I don't.