Grandma’s Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich
There is something about a rainy day that makes me crave ooey-gooey, comforting grilled cheese sandwiches. It has been raining a lot here lately so today I decided to make up some of my grandma’s classic grilled cheese sandwiches!
Growing up I always preferred my grandma’s grilled cheese sandwich over my moms. Both were good, but there was just something special about grandmas that I couldn’t put my finger on. Turns out granny was using mayonnaise on the bread instead of butter! This produces a delicious, evenly browned, crisp bread with just the right amount of crunch. This recipe is so simple, but so worth having in your collection…ya know…for those rainy days.
- 2 slices of white bread
- Mayonnaise for spreading (the real kind of Mayonnaise no subbing here!)
- A pat of butter (to grease the skillet)
- 1/3 cup or more of cheddar cheese (I always mix cheddar and mozzarella)
- Melt a thin slice of butter on a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread a thin layer of Mayonnaise over a slice of bread and place mayonnaise side down on the skillet
- Sprinkle on cheese.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the other slice of bread and place it on top of the cheese, mayonnaise side up.
- Grill for about 3 minutes or until bottom bread is golden brown and then FLIP to grill the other side, until golden brown and the cheese is completely melted. This side will only take a minute or so. Keep an eye on it!
- Place on a plate, cut and enjoy!!
- I always slice mine at a diagonal. It just doesn’t quite taste the same if I don’t.