Creamy Cheeseburger Soup
We’ve been having some MAJOR cold weather here lately. I’m talking -14 ! What tha!!! I’m so longing for some sunny skies, blue water and sand right now, but I guess I’ll just have to suck it up for a few more months. One thing I love to do when it’s freezing outside is COOK!!! I crank up that oven and spend all day cooking and baking up delicious, fattening treats and dishes.
It’s been a while since I listed a soup recipe on this blog so today I made this super cozy and delicious cheeseburger soup for lunch. I had all the ingredients in the refrigerator already since I went shopping the night before to brace for the snow and ice storm that was supposedly headed our way. So glad it changed it’s mind. Man oh man did this soup hit the spot!
This cheeseburger soup is EVERYTHING!! I’m really tempted to call it my all-time favorite soup. It’s creamy, cheesy, and comforting. Packed with cheese, meat, potatoes, and veggies and then topped with burger fixings like tomatoes, bacon, buttery croutons, cheese, yep and even diced pickles if you’re brave enough to go there. We are in my house and love it! We had it for lunch and dinner.
I’m sure this cheeseburger soup will become a family favorite in your house. It’s rich, beautifully flavored with all the addicting flavors of a juicy hot cheeseburger. No wonder my husband enjoyed it so much.
With all the fun toppings this cheeseburger soup would make a great meal for a large event.
This soup is also called cheeseburger chowder, Mcdonalds soup or cheeseburger paradise soup. It normally calls for velveeta cheese but I find a homemade cheese sauce tastes much better.
Watch me make this cheeseburger soup from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Comforting Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb ground turkey, could use other ground meat
- 1/2 lb ground turkey sausage, could use other ground sausages
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced into small cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (can use a mixture of cheeses if desired. I like smoked cheddar and sharp cheddar)
- Toppings: shredded cheese, fresh parsley, chopped bacon, dice tomatoes, cheese, pickles, buttered croutons.
- In a large deep skillet brown ground turkey and ground sausage. Drain and set aside.
- In the same deep skillet at 2 tablespoons of butter and diced carrot, onions and celery.
- Sauté until tender over medium heat.
- Stir in cubed potatoes, chicken broth, italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer just until potatoes are tender (but not to soft).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Whisk in flour a little at a time stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in warm milk and warm heavy cream.
- Stir in cheeses until mixture is smooth and creamy. Do not bring to a boil or simmer.
- Pour meat & vegetable mixture into the cheese sauce and stir until well combined.
- Taste and add in additional salt, black pepper, garlic powder or Italian seasoning if needed.
- Laddle soup into bowls and top with desired toppings.
- Serve hot!