What do you make when it’s freezing, windy and rainy outside and you have two sick little boys on your hands? You make m&m cookie bars that’s what! I mean seriously, wouldn’t these just cheer you right up?
I use to LOVE it when my mom or grandmother made cookie bars growing up. Cookies are cool and all but there is just something about the cookie BAR. Thick, chewy, and chocked full of chocolate chips or whatever you choose to add in them.
I will go on record and say these are the BEST m&m cookie bars EVERRR!!! I’ve had plenty of cookie bars in my day and these lovelies bake up thick, chewy and soft in all the right places. They are full of m&m’s which makes me so happy!
I don’t know too many kids that wouldn’t love to come home from school to a plate of these babies and a tall glass of milk waiting on them.
Isaac said these m&m cookie bars were the “best things he’s ever tasted in his whole life” lol So I’m thinking I’ll be making these more often now. It’s really just a good blondie recipe with m&m’s added in. It has a delicious buttery taste that is pretty darn addictive. I’m not even going to tell you how many I had.
Watch me make these chewy m&m cookie bars from start to finish!
Chewy M&M Cookie Bars
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups M&M's divided
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line a 9 x13 baking pan with greased parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Stir in large egg and egg yolk until combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, stirring just until flour is incorporated. Don't over stir.
- Add in 1 cup of m&m's.
- Press dough into an even layer in prepared pan.
- Press remaining m&m's lightly on the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely
- Cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from cooksillustrated.com