Cajun Fish and Savory Cheese Grits
Ahhhh fish and grits…a true southern comfort classic! There is just something about this dish that does it for me. It doesn’t matter what I’m going through at the time, when I sit down to a bowl of flavorful, creamy cheese grits and cajun fish, everything feels “alright” Yep it’s that deep for me lol.
This fish and grits dish was a big part of my childhood. We had it almost every week. There are so many ways to spin this recipe by adding different seasonings and cheeses to the grits or cooking the fish a different way, like deep frying in cornmeal.
Half n Half gives these grits a super creamy texture. Added spices, chicken broth and cheese kicks up the flavor.
|Cajun Fish and Savory Cheese Grits: Food for the soul|
|These savory cheese grits are loaded with flavor!|
Watch me make this cajun fish and savory cheese grits from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Cajun Fish and Savory Cheese Grits
- Easy Cajun Fish, I never measure the spice ingredients. Season only one side generously
- 2 tilapia fillets, thawed
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Cajun seasoning
- Old bay seasoning
- Black pepper
- Onion powder, optional
- Oregano, optional
- Savory Grits
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup half n half
- 1/2 cup grits, 5-minute Quick Cooking Grits
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- salt to taste
- Brush thawed fillets with olive oil.
- Top with fresh minced garlic and a sprinkling of salt.
- Sprinkle generously with Cajun seasoning, Old Bay Seasoning, parsley, & black pepper.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add fish to skillet. Cook for about 5-7 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish. Flip fish & cook for 2-3 minutes until fish is firm and flaky.
- While cooking, season the other side with onion powder and a little bit of oregano if desired.
- Add a thin slice of butter on top of fish.
- When fish is firm and flaky it’s done.
- Place on a plate and cover with foil to keep the fish warm.
- In a saucepan, add chicken broth, water and half n half.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the grits slowly while whisking. Continue whisking while adding all the grits.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir the grits frequently while cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Stir in paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, & white pepper.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Add some salt if desired.
- Add a few drops of hot sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Tips * If the grits are too thick just add in a little more hot water or hot broth to thin them out.
Wash the pot immediately since grits can really cling to the sides of the pot and harden if left sitting.