Easy Southern Chicken Salad
Southern, Homestyle Chicken Salad
(basic but full of flavor)
It’s so hard to get a homemade recipe for chicken salad if you ask people. Everyone always says “well…I don’t know…I never measure when I make it.” I always hate when people tell me that lol but I find myself saying the same thing. It really is one of those recipe that you just throw how much of each ingredient in that you like. I’ve been getting so many request for it, I thought I’d make it and try to write down everything I put in it.
Chicken salad sandwiches is one of my favorite kinds of sandwich. I’m pretty picky when it comes to chicken salad. I like it to look and taste a certain way. The right kind of bread you put it on is equally important: Buttery bakery croissants baby!!!
Although this chicken salad recipe is very basic, it is still creamy and full of flavor, yet still enough room to customize it just the way you like. It has just the right amount of crunch from the onions and celery with that perfect blend of spice from the celery salt and other seasonings. Not to mention that kick of light sweetness from the sweet relish.
If you like a sweet & crunchy chicken salad go ahead and throw in some cranberries, grapes, raisins or nuts.
As with all chicken salad recipes be sure to season a little at a time, tasting after each seasoning, until you get the taste you love.
Watch me make this southern, easy chicken salad sandwhiches from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Southern Chicken Salad
- 3 chicken breast, flattened
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 5 hardboiled eggs, diced
- 1 3/4 cups Mayonnaise, may need more or less. I used 1 cup Dukes and 3/4 cup Helmans
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more if desired
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon onion powder, plus more if desire
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, plus more if desired
- Celery salt to taste
- Butter Bakery Croissants
- Season chicken breast with black pepper, celery salt, onion powder and garlic powder. You can also add more spices if you like.
- Place chicken in a large skillet.
- Add chicken broth and simmer covered on medium heat for 7 minutes per side or until done.
- When chicken is done, let it cool and shred. Set aside.
- In a bowl add chicken, onions, celery and eggs.
- Toss to combine.
- Stir in mayonnaise, sweet relish and the seasonings (black pepper, onion & garlic powder, celery salt) to enhance the flavor.
- Remember to taste it as you mix in the seasonings to check for the perfect balance.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Overnight is best to maximize all the flavors.
- Sandwich between a buttery bakery croissant with lettuce and tomatoes.
Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight for flavors to mix and mingle.
Tried this recipe?Mention @divascancook on Instagram or tag #divascancook.
This chicken salad recipe is fantastic! I used Duke’s only, a rotisserie chicken and didn’t have celery salt. It was so delicious!! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes! This is going to be in heavy rotation this summer!