“Hot, cheesy, creamy buffalo chicken dip! Loaded with spicy chicken, creamy cheese, and spices!
Video tutorial: How to Make THE BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Last weekend my 8-year old finally learned how to ride a bike. We had been trying EVERYTHING to convince him to take his training wheels off for the longest but he wasn’t having it. He literally woke up on Saturday and said “Today I’m going to ride my bike!” My husband quickly took off the training wheels and within 30 minutes this child was riding like he’d been doing it for years! What a powerful thing the mind can be when you finally make it up, huh?! My kids are always teaching me powerful lessons like this!
Today when my boys were at the park riding bikes it hit me (yet again) that they are really growing up. Like….actually growing up and before I know it, they will be out there in the world exploring and building their own lives. It made me happy and sad all at the same time. It was a reminder to soak in these years and create even more memorable moments.
So welcome Family Board Game Night 2.0!
We have game nights often but it’s usually video games. There is just something about a board game that is so much better than video games! Maybe it’s because I’m a beast at Uno and Sorry. *dusting off shoulders* Saturday night at 7 pm is officially family board game hour, with prizes and a special appetizer included!
This Saturday the prize was a “Take my Chore” card. Whoever won could pass off any weekly chore to someone else.
For the snack, I was gonna go with our usual favorite pizza dip or bbq chicken nachos, but I decided to try something different! My boys had never had buffalo chicken dip and it’s been ages since I’ve made it. Tonight was the perfect time to break it out! And like always this spicy, cheesy, creamy dip did not disappoint!
What is Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Buffalo chicken dip is a creamy take on buffalo chicken wings! It combines shredded buffalo chicken with a cream cheese base to create one rich and hearty dip! This dip is for the true buffalo wing fans. If you’re not into spicy, saucy buffalo wings or cream cheese-based dips then you probably would say “meh” to this dip. But if buffalo wings are your thing, keep reading!
What does Buffalo Chicken Dip taste like?
Buffalo chicken dip is rich, creamy, savory, salty, and full of heat! It MUST (in my opinion) be paired with buttered baguettes or carrots or celery to balance out the super bold flavors. For a long time, I thought I didn’t like buffalo chicken dip. Turns out I just had to play around with the ingredients to strike up a balance that I enjoyed.
The Ingredients: What is Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Made Of?
There are many different ways to make buffalo chicken dip and you’re sure to find several varieties on the net! I’ve tried Buffalo Chicken Dip many ways, with many different ingredients and measurements, but this is the recipe that made me stop looking for the best buffalo chicken dip. It’s right here and these are the cast of characters that make it happen!
- Shredded roasted chicken: You can use a rotisserie chicken if you’d like. I prefer to use all-white-meat chicken to cut down on the fat that dark meat has. I prefer to roast my own chicken breast.
- Onions, celery & garlic: You can never go wrong with adding fresh sauteed onions, celery, and garlic to a savory, rich appetizer and these guys work great in buffalo chicken dip.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce: I use to use Frank’s original hot sauce when I made this dip. One day I made it with Franks Buffalo Sauce and loved it even more! It seemed to have more balanced this way. If I must use straight-up hot sauce I always go with Cholula. It’s the best!
- Cream cheese & sour cream: These two ingredients are the perfect “cooling” agents for this spicy dip!
- Ranch and/or Blue Cheese Salad Dressing: I like to add just a little bit of these dressings to add another layer of flavor.
- Shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese- Use your favorite cheese here. I like a mixture of mild cheddar and mozzarella. Be sure to shred it yourself since the pre-shredded kind never melts and stretches as beautifully as the freshly shredded cheese. Or if I buy pre-shredded I get the Creamy Melts cheese that has cream cheese in the mix.
- Fresh parsley: Let’s face it, this dip isn’t going to win any food beauty contests. It’s certainly not the prettiest dip in the bunch, but fresh parsley can make even the ugliest of dips look appetizing. Use it generously to garnish. This dip makes up for in the taste department!
- Spices: Paprika, garlic, and onion powder give a nice flavor to this appetizer
What’s the BEST hot sauce for this dip?
The type of hot sauce used to make buffalo chicken dip can make all the difference! Test out your favorite. Frank’s hot sauce is what’s used in most recipes. However, I find Frank’s to be way too bold in this dip, and cutting it back made the dip a pale orange color. If I must use Franks I prefer to use their Buffalo wing sauce to make this dip. It tends to be a bit milder with more levels of flavor. However, my FAVORITE hot sauce to use in this dip is Cholula hot sauce. It has the perfect amount of heat without a strong vinegar base.
What is the best thing to eat with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Buttered & toasted Baguettes or French bread for the win!!! For our family game night, we served this dip with toasted and buttered baguettes and it was so perfect! This dip is rich, thick, and creamy so those baguettes were fantastic. I can’t even imagine serving this buffalo chicken dip with anything salty like tortilla chips or crackers although lots of folks love it that way. And of course, carrots and celery are a classic with this dip and compliments the spiciness.
How to serve buffalo chicken dip
If I’m making this for a party with lots of people, I like to spoon the hot dip onto the baguettes and place them on a tray. I then garnish them with parsley. That way all folks have to do is grab one and devour! For small family time, I serve it piping hot and we just dip or spoon it onto our toasted bread. NOTE: If you are adding melted cheese on top be sure to serve it AS SOON as it comes out of the oven because that hot, gooey cheese will firm up as it cools. Keep this dip in a warming tray to keep it hot during long festivities.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Tips
- Use all-white meat chicken. This will cut down on the amount of grease in your dip.
- Use freshly shredded cheese (or a pre-shredded brand with cream cheese in the mix like Krafts Creamy Melt cheese).
- Serve this dip hot right out of the oven if you are adding cheese to the top. Otherwise, the top layer of cheese will cool as it sits, making it hard to dip or spoon onto your bread, chips, veggies, or crackers.
- If you’ve never had buffalo chicken dip, do a test batch before making it for your party. This way you can adjust the heat levels and see which cheeses, hot sauce, and salad dressing you prefer. This buffalo chicken dip recipe has some heat but it’s still on the milder side.
- What makes buffalo chicken dip greasy? If you discover a pool of orange grease on the top of your dip it’s more than likely from the cheese or if you used dark meat chicken, which is fattier. You can gently blot the surface with a paper towel when it comes out of the oven to soak up any grease or you can just stir it all up and serve it in a serving bowl. This is probably the best way. I’ve never had greasiness when I use mozzarella and chicken breast.
- Can I use Rotisserie chicken? Yes, you can.
- Does buffalo chicken dip thickens as it cools? Yes, it does but not much. This recipe makes a thick and creamy dip. If you prefer a looser dip, you can add in a little milk.
- Can I make this buffalo chicken dip in a crockpot? Prepare the recipe in a skillet and transfer to the crockpot to keep warm and/or melt the cheese on top.
- Can I make this dip a day ahead? YES!! The flavors are even better the next day, but here’s what you need to do. Put the dip together according to the recipe but DON’T add the cheese on top. When you are ready to serve the dish, reheat it in a skillet adding a bit more heavy whipping cream if needed. Then follow the recipe for broiling the cheese on top (if you decide to do this step) and garnishing.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onions
- 2 tablespoons finely diced celery
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ranch or blue cheese salad dressing ( I used 1 T. Ranch & 1 T. chunky blue cheese dressing)
- ½ cup Cholula brand Original hot sauce (see note)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast (1 lb uncooked) (See note)
- 1½ cups Mozzarella or Cheddar Cheese, divided (I used a mixture of mild cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley/ green onions and blue cheese crumbles, optional (For garnish)
- 1 loaf baguette (sliced, buttered, and toasted)
- In a large deep skillet , melt butter, and add onion and celery.
- Saute until tender and then add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Reduce heat and add cream cheese, stirring until it has melted.
- Stir in sour cream, salad dressing, and hot sauce.
- Stir in paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried parsley.
- Once combined, add chicken and stir to coat.
- Stir in ½-¾ cups shredded cheese until cheese has melted and then stir in heavy whipping cream to thin the mixture out a bit.
- Place into a serving casserole dish (8x8) (I used a 1-liter oval corning dish.)
- Sprinkle the top with the desired amount of remaining cheese. (You can also just place the hot dip in a bowl and serve)
- Broil on low to melt and brown the cheese a little. (This will not take long so keep an eye on it.)
- Serve as soon as it comes out of the oven and garnish with parsley or green onion & blue cheese crumbles if desired.