I’ve never really been a big popcorn ball person, even as a kid when all the cool varieties of popcorn balls would surface around Halloween time. I just didn’t see what all the hoopla was about. And then it happened. I made a trail mix of popcorn, Teddy Grahams, mini marshmallows and chocolate chips for Isaac to snack on a while back and I ended up just about eating the whole bowl. I just couldn’t keep my hands out of it!
I fell in love with it so much because it reminded me of S’mores and I LOOOOVE all things s’mores! S’more cupcakes anyone? Or how about a s’mores martini? Oh, wait I don’t have that recipe yet but it’s coming trust!!
These s’mores popcorn balls are what I like to call… perfect. The sweet & salty kettle corn still has a little bit of crunch yet lends itself to a bit of chewiness (that all popcorn balls must have) from the marshmallow fluff. The marshmallow fluff makes the popcorn irresistible alone but paired with crushed graham crackers and then dipped in Hershey’s chocolate chips, they are downright addictive.
Not to toot my own horn, but I’d say they are the best popcorn balls that I’ve ever made, not that I’ve made that many. Hubby wants me to make them in bite size. I just might take him up on the offer, maybe then I won’t feel so bad for eating several of the large ones.
The first time I tried making s’mores popcorn balls I tried adding chocolate chips in with the popcorn and graham cracker pieces. That was an epic fail. It just melted so quickly with the hot marshmallow and eventually turn everything brown (still yummy but ugly).
Watch me make these S’mores Popcorn Balls from start to finish!
The BEST S'mores Popcorn Balls
- 9 cups popcorn popped (I used kettle corn)
- 1 cup graham crackers roughly crushed
- 7 oz Jet-Puffed marshmallow cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 cup Hershey's milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- white chocolate optional
- graham crack crumb for decoration
- Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- Add crush graham crackers. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add marshmallow cream and stir until melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn.
- Stir quickly to coat the popcorn in the marshmallow.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave until completely melted. Stir frequently to prevent burning the chocolate.
- Dip half of the popcorn ball into the chocolate, let the excess drip off.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
- Place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the refrigerator until chocolate hardens.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- Let white chocolate harden and then package if desired.
Remember to squeeze tight when forming the balls.
Decorate them how you like! You can even dye the marshmallow!