I have been nailing the Mexican chicken soup at Casa Grande lately. They are not shy about loading it with tons of chicken, avocado, fresh veggies, and cilantro and the portions are huge. After I had this soup twice in one week I figured it was time I learned how to make it at home. I knew it would be pretty easy to recreate this Mexican chicken soup being that the ingredients were so simple.
I headed to the store and loaded up my cart with some chicken breast, long grain rice, fresh cilantro, red onions, celery, jalapenos, carrots, avocados, tomatoes, limes, green bell peppers, sweet corn, and chicken broth (just in case I didn’t have enough in the freezer) Yep this soup is loaded with a lot of good things that will make your body and taste buds happy! Make this for somebody that you love. They will appreciate all the fresh, delicious ingredients and the time you put into creating it.
I was a little nervous about what my husband would think of it. He is a huge Mexican food lover and orders this soup when we go out. He took one bite, gave me a Gordon Ramsey look, and instantly held up two thumbs. I knew it was a winner to make it past my toughest critic. His only suggestion is, “need more jalapeños”. Normally I would have thrown something at his head and said “well next time make your own soup!”, but I totally agree. However since I was making this for Isaac as well, I knew he would not eat it if it had that spicy kick to it.
We pretty much finish up the whole pot in one day. It’s one of those soups that REALLY fills you up but you just can’t stop eating it even though it feels like your gut is going to explode. And for some reason, it doesn’t seem to last that long in the belly. After my first bowl an hour later I was craving another.
NOTE: Using a good, savory, bold broth is important. I’m using homemade broth in this recipe. I have a homemade broth recipe on my chicken noodle soup video, but you can fake homemade broth. Add store-bought broth to a large pot. Add in 2-4 whole carrots, 2-3 stalks of celery, half an onion, a handful of fresh parsley, and 3 garlic cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and it’s ready to use. It tastes just like homemade broth that’s been simmering away on the stove for hours.
Watch me make this Mexican chicken soup from start to finish!
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 2 large chicken breast bone-in
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 2-3 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded & diced
- 1-3 jalapenos depending on how hot you like it
- 1 cup red onion
- 2-3 cups white rice cooked
- fresh cilantro I use a lot
- 4-5 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Brush chicken with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes.
- Let chicken cool and then shred.
- In a large pot, add diced vegetables, cooked rice, shredded chicken and chopped cilantro and enough chicken broth to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer just until carrots are slightly tender. You want the vegetables to maintain a little bit of crunch.
- Taste the soup and add fresh black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes if needed.
- Place soup into a serving bowl and squeeze a lime wedge over the soup. Add a half diced avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
USE ONLY FRESH INGREDIENTS FOR THE FULL EFFECT. No cans or frozen.
Make sure that your broth is well seasoned and flavorful.
Add more jalapeños and peppers for a spicy kick!
Refrigerate for 2 days or freeze.