Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
(Soul Food Style)
I’m pretty sure you all know how hard it is to find a good, southern, soul food style baked macaroni and cheese recipe right? People tend to keep a tight grasp on their prized macaroni & cheese recipes.
Well imagine my shock when my sister sashayed in on Thanksgiving and casually placed this baked macaroni & cheese on the table. I could have sworn I had all of my family members baked mac n cheese recipes. What was this impostor all about! The proof was in the taste. I had one (ok three) plates of this macaroni and cheese and was on her heels like ash in the winter time trying to get this recipe.
My husband took a bite and said “ohhhhh you need to take your mac n cheese recipe off your blog and put this one up. This one is waaay better than yours!” THANKS A LOT MATT…You’ll pay for that comment dearly! lol (and don’t think I forgot)
Yall this baked macaroni and cheese is FULL OF SOUL!! That is the first thing that came to mind when I took that first bite. I just love how that top layer of smoked cheese forms like a crust. It’s super creamy, flavorful, and easy. But the MVP is that SMOKED CHEDDAR! Good God I couldn’t stop eating this stuff.
So big sis….I will bow down gracefully to you and say that you make THE BEST Baked MAC N CHEESE EVER!
*UPDATE* 2/13/12 Sorry sis but I think I’ve discovered a new best baked macaroni and cheese recipe lol I’ll be posting it soon guys, but this one is still a favorite!!
I have printed out this recipe, took a photo of it, laminated it and put it in my recipe album. Not many recipes get to make it to the album. She’s a keeper!
I’m sure that if you give it a try it will end up going into your recipe collection as well.
Watch me make this southern baked macaroni and cheese from start to finish!
- 3 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups milk
- salt & pepper
- paprika (optional)
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (a must)
- 6-8 oz. velvetta, shredded (feel free to cut back on the velvetta if you don't want it to be super creamy)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar (can use less if you don't like a sharp taste in your mac n cheese)
- 1 cup colby & monteray jack, shredded (cheese blend)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook macaroni until just al dente or a little under al dente. (Look on the back of the box to see how long you need to cook your pasta for it to reach al dente.) Be careful no to overcook.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add milk, heavy cream & cheeses (except for the smoked cheddar).
- Stir to combine.
- Taste the milk mixture and add salt & pepper until it has a good taste. You can also add in other seasonings like onion, paprika, etc. Tasting will help avoid having a plain, bland bake macaroni & cheese. Yuck!
- When you are content with the taste, add in the eggs.
- Stir well until combined.
- Butter a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Add macaroni to the baking dish.
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni.
- Make sure the cheese distributed well.
- Top with smoked cheddar cheese. (I add a little more Colby jack as well.) Sprinkle with paprika and/or black pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Do not overbake. It may be a bit jiggly when you take it out of the oven. It will firm up as it cool.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes or until fully set.