Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
(Soul Food Style)
Watch me make this southern baked macaroni and cheese from start to finish!
I’m pretty sure you all know how hard it is to find a good, southern, soul food style baked macaroni and cheese recipe, right?
People tend to keep a tight grasp on their prized macaroni & cheese recipes, but not in my family. We share our favorite recipes like they are going on out of style! “Aint no sense in taking recipes to the grave” is how my grandmother sees it.
Well, imagine my shock when my sister sashayed in on Thanksgiving and casually placed this baked macaroni & cheese on the table. I could have sworn I had all of my family members baked mac n cheese recipes.
What was this impostor all about! The proof was in the taste. I had one (ok three) plates of this macaroni and cheese and was on her heels like ash in the wintertime trying to get this recipe.
My husband took a bite and said, “um, you need to take your mac n cheese recipe off your blog and put this one up. This one is way better than yours!”
THANKS A LOT, MATT…You’ll pay for that comment dearly! lol
Yall this baked macaroni and cheese is FULL OF SOUL!! That is the first thing that came to mind when I took that first bite. Usually, I’m not that into mac and cheese recipes that involve Velveeta, but this one….yeah, this one gets a pass!
I just love how that top layer of smoked cheese forms like a crust. It’s super creamy, flavorful, and easy. The MVP is definitely that SMOKED CHEDDAR! Good God, I couldn’t stop eating this stuff.
So big sis…I will bow down gracefully to you and say that you make THE BEST Baked MAC N CHEESE EVER!
I have printed out this recipe, took a photo of it, laminated it, and put it in my recipe album. Not many recipes get to make it to the album. She’s a keeper!
I’m sure that if you give it a try, it will end up going into your recipe collection, as well.
Get the Recipe: Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Colby & Monterey Jack, shredded (cheese blend)
- 6-8 oz Velveeta cheese, shredded (feel free to cut back on the Velveeta if you don't want it to be super creamy)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded (can use less if you don't like a sharp taste in your mac n cheese)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (a must)
- paprika, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook macaroni until just al dente or a little under al dente. (Look on the back of the box to see how long you need to cook your pasta for it to reach al dente.) Be careful not to overcook.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add milk, heavy cream & cheeses (except for the smoked cheddar).
- Stir to combine.
- Taste the milk mixture and add salt & pepper until it has a good taste. (You can also add in other seasonings like onion powder, paprika, etc. Tasting will help avoid having a plain, bland baked macaroni & cheese.)
- When you are content with the taste, add the eggs.
- Stir well until combined.
- Butter a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Add macaroni to the baking dish.
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni.
- Make sure the cheese is distributed well.
- Top with the smoked cheddar cheese. (I add a little more Colby jack as well.) Sprinkle with paprika and/or black pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Do not overbake. It may be a bit jiggly when you take it out of the oven. It will firm up as it cool.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes or until fully set.
Smoked cheddar cheese can be found in grocery stores in the specialty cheese section, not with the shredded, common cheeses. I get mine from Walmart.
Do not over bake! Mac and cheese may be a tad jiggly when removed from oven but it will firm up as it cools.
Feel free to use other cheeses, but that smoked cheddar is a MUST!
*UPDATE* Sorry sis but I think I’ve discovered a new best-baked macaroni and cheese recipe lol I’ll be posting it soon guys, but this one is still a favorite!!
Wait I’ve got more macaroni and cheese recipes!! Check these out!
Creamy baked macaroni and cheese!
(this one is great for kids and adults It has no Velveeta)
Classic Homemade Baked Macaroni & Cheese
The first mac and cheese posted on my site.
I Just tried this and I ALMOST left out the smoked cheddar b/c I had to drive all over looking for it, but it was well worth it. I loved it two thumbs up..love ur site.
Yep no butter required in this one. I was suprised about that too. It really doesn't need any in my opinion, with the cheeses,milk & heavy cream it surely makes up for the butter but if you'd like to add some go right ahead. Let me know how it turns out!!
This recipe was the Bomb my family talked about this for 2 weeks after thanksgiving I added 2 tbsp of butter it was delicious!
I noticed this recipe doesn't call for any butter as most baked macaroni recipes do. Would it hurt to add some to this recipe?
Yh, I’ve been making Mac and Cheese for years and never used butter.
Flickchick..girl you know what…you sure can! And that's how I'm going to make it next time. Mix and pour, my kind of dish!
Question Monique….can we just mix it up in a bowl, then put it in the baking dish? I ask because some recipes are particular about the order of things. I would just want it mixed together real good is all.
LOL @ "ash on heels in winter" & also the DH (dear husband)'s response. Girl you are funny! Thanks for sharing. :O) looks yummy