Creamy, Cozy Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
When I was younger my mother always made sure we made our teachers something for the holidays. One year we made up batches of homemade hot chocolate mix and placed them in these cozy looking mugs. My teachers LOVED it.
When I came back from Christmas break all I heard about was how good that homemade hot chocolate mix recipe was and they begged me to ask my mother to give them the recipe.
I’m not sure if I ever gave them the recipe or not, but when I went home for Thanksgiving last month and ran into one of my old elementary school teachers. I couldn’t believe she actually remembered me. The first thing she asked was “Does your mama still make that homemade hot chocolate mix around the holidays?” LOL, Sometimes the most memorable gifts are the simplest things.
Let me tell ya, Swiss Miss has nothing on this recipe! This is aREALLY good homemade hot chocolate mix. Everyone I’ve made it for loves it. It is creamy, chocolatey and has that classic comforting homemade taste. Al you recipients will have to do is: Just add milk! (I’ve made it with water as well but milk does the trick!)
- 1 cup of dry nonfat, powdered milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (use a good quality brand)
- 1/4 cup of dry vanilla creamer ( I use vanilla caramel and it is delish! Use your fav. kind.)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 regular size chocolate candy bars, chopped (I normally use Dove milk chocolate bars. I’ve also used crushed peppermints or crushed Andes mint chocolate as well)
- 1-2 cups of marshmallows
- In a large bowl, mix dry milk, cocoa powder, creamer sugar, & salt in a bowl. Use a whisk to combine well. Set aside.
- Cut chocolate bars into chunks. Set aside.
- Slowly pour the hot chocolate mix into a clear bag. Use a paper towel to wipe the inside of the bag if the mix gets on the bag. You want to keep things nice and neat.
- Place the marshmallows in the bag and then top with the chopped chocolate bars.
- Gather the bag tightly and secure with a twist-tie.
- Add a festive ribbon and attach a cutesy homemade ingredients and directions label (whether or not you want to include the recipe or keep it for yourself is entirely up to you ; )
- To Make: Bring 1 cup of milk to a boil in a mug. Add in 3 Tablespoons of cocoa mix. Stir in a few chunks of chocolate and top with marshmallows and additional chocolate chunks!
First of all you are a Diva when it come to cooking. I have enjoyed your recipes so many times
I am truly a fan of yours. I have made your Dressing, Yams, Greens. My family just love your
food. I am looking on the Website now and enjoying everything I see. I have told my friends
and they have start using your recipe. My friend has made your oven chicken and said it
was so good. Thank you for your site keep on keeping on.
I love your site! Period… Oh and your youtube channel!
my daughter and I are going to make this tonight to give to teachers… looks really good~
I am becoming a fan of homemade mixes! This is a really cool idea for frugal and thoughtful gifts!:)
Looks so good, might try this later!
I gave this out to my friends last Chrsitmas with a fancy mug, and called it SNOWMAN SOUP hahahah.