What it is about a roasted chicken that makes me so happy? Something about it’s rustic golden appearance and savory aroma is just so darn welcoming. I roast chickens pretty often just for the heck of it. I don’t need to have a recipe in mind because I know you can always think of something to do with a roasted chicken like chicken tacos or chicken salad. Chicken always wins, especially in my house.
Here is another one of my favorite roasted chicken recipes, lemon, garlic & rosemary roasted chicken. I still like my simple roasted chicken but on days when I want to kick it up a notch I go to this recipe.
It’s full of that fresh & simple lemony, garlicky, rosemary flavor that I just can’t enough of. The skin roasts up so crisp and well seasoned from the butter. Gotta love a chicken roasted in butter! Nothing else like it, sorry.
This lemon, garlic, rosemary chicken recipe also makes a mean chicken and rice soup if you have leftovers. The rosemary taste really good with the rice. I often serve this chicken with rice or roasted potatoes and whatever kind of veggies I have on hand. It’s an easy, simple meal with a great presentation.
Watch me make this Lemon, Garlic & Rosemary Chicken Recipe from start to finish!!
- 5lb whole chicken, washed & dried
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 large springs fresh rosemary, diced finely
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- zest of 4 lemons
- salt & pepper
- Fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- Cavity stuffing (sliced lemons, sliced onions, spring of rosemary)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add butter to a medium sized bowl.
- Add in olive oil, rosemary, garlic and lemon zest.
- Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper, including inside of the cavity.
- Brush the butter mixture onto the chicken generously covering up all of the chicken.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons all over the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken with lemon slices, rosemary and onions.
- Tie together the legs if desired.
- Place chicken in roasting pan.
- Cook for 45 minutes and then baste.
- Return to oven and cook for another 15 minutes or until golden. Lightly tent with foil if chicken is browning too quickly.
- Let chicken cool for 15 minute before carving.