“A chewy, light, red velvet brownie full of that classic red velvet flavor. Drizzled with white chocolate or cream cheese and top with walnuts!”
I was suppose to post these delicious, chewy homemade red velvet brownies around Christmas time and forgot all about them! Here it is almost Valentines day and they are finally making their appearance. Better late than never. I think it’s well worth the wait though.
Seriously these are the best red velvet brownies I’ve ever had in my entire 21 years of life! (Yes I’ve been 21 for many years) I’ve tried so many red velvet brownie recipes.
Being from the south it’s kinda hard to avoid red velvet anything. I must say though I’ve been disappointed most of the time when it comes to red velvet brownies. Usually folks just make chocolate brownies and throw in some red food coloring and call it “red velvet”
Uhhhh no bueno man!!!! Red velvet is a very distinctive, delicate flavor. It has that slight cocoa flavor intertwined with a mild vanilla flavor and a very slight tartness from the buttermilk and vinegar. It’s the best flavor EVER when you get it right.
These red velvet brownies does an AMAZING job at capturing that perfect balance. Not to mention they are so soft and chewy with a slightly cake-like texture. I’m on a limited sweets diet so I’ve allowed myself one brownie a day. It’s the end of day 4 and I’ll be doggone if these red velvet brownies are not as soft as the day I made them! Usually I can never get homemade brownies to last more than 3 days without getting a tad bit dry.
These brownies are fantastic plain and even better drizzled with cream cheese glaze or white chocolate. I wanted the glaze to harden up so I used white chocolate and added chopped walnuts. They were so heavenly and light. Cutting them into bite sizes was the perfect amount of sweetness and made them so fun to eat.
Watch me make these chewy red velvet brownies from start to finish!
Red Velvet Brownies
By Divas Can Cook
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Line an 8 x 8 glass dish with greased parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar.
- Mix in egg.
- Mix in buttermilk, vinegar and vanilla. (Batter will be speckled).
- Add food coloring and mix to combine.
- Mix in unsweentened cocoa powder.
- Add flour and salt.
- Mix until smooth and well combined, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour batter into prepare pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is set and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove brownies and let cool. (I place mine in the fridge when they are warm to speed up cooling.)
- Cut brownies into small squares.
- Drizzled with melted white chocolate or cream cheese icing and sprinkle with walnuts (optional)
- Store in airtight container
Want More Red Velvet Flavor?
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cake