“Sweet, smokey, spicy pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches recipe that’s easy to make and comes together super quick! Great dinner for busy evenings!”
Guess who’s moving this week?? Woop whoop!! Me….again. I think I have really set a record for how many times a broad can move in a years span. Unlike the other few moves, I’m actually really excited about this one since it involves Divas Can Cook getting it’s own studio and a lot of other cool changes. More on that later. Today it’s all about easy pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches.
Needless to say I’ve been super busy with moving and a ton of other projects so dinner in my house lately has consisted of easy dishes like this one.
The name of this BBQ sauce sums it up pretty darn well, sweet and spicy! But it’s also very vinegary thanks to the apple cider vinegar and mustard. It’s almost right up there with Carolina style BBQ sauce which I LOVE but my hubby hates. How are you gonna be from the Carolinas and not like the classic Carolina mustard based BBQ sauce? Huh hubby, huh? I digress…
This BBQ sauce satisfies us both. It’s plenty of sweet and spicy which it what he lives for ( I mean, helloooo he married me!) and it’s smokey and vinegary which is one of my favorite flavor combinations.
Oh and let me just state this right off the bat, you MUST MUST MUST serve these pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches topped with some good ol southern coleslaw. It’s a must ya hear me! The coleslaw really calms this sauce down to the right level. Serve it on some buttered and toasted potato buns with a a side of zesty fries and corn on the cob and you are in for one easy, quick and flavorful meal!
The flavors only magnify if you let this sauce simmer for a few minutes or if you let it sit overnight, which my grandmother says is mandatory. Whenever I make pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches though it’s usually because I need a fast homemade dinner and so I never take the extra time to fool around with the BBQ sauce. I just mix it up, stir it in and eat.
Watch me make these sweet & spicy pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches from start to finish!
Sweet & Spicy Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 lbs seasoned bone-in chicken breast cooked and shredded (see note)
HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- liquid smoke several dashes
- Buttered and toasted potato buns
- Coleslaw optional
- In a large bowl combine all of the sauce ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. (Don't be alarmed at the bold flavor, it won't taste as strong once it's combined with the chicken)
- Heat the sauce on medium and let it barely simmer for about 5-10 minutes (optional)
- Mix sauce into shredded chicken a little at a time until your desired consistency is reached (I never use all the sauce since I just like my chicken to be lightly coated.
- Top the prepared potato buns with the BBQ chicken and then top with cole slaw (optional but recommended)
- Serve hot.