One of my favorite appetizers growing up were sausage cheese balls! My grandmother only made them around Christmas time for some reason but that just made them even more special. I thought it was because they were hard to make, so you can imagine my surprise when I asked her for the recipe a few years ago. Super easy!!
Normally sausage cheese balls are made with Bisquick, but I never have the stuff on hand so I make them from scratch. They turn out amazing and I actually prefer them this way now. Sorry Bisquick.
These sausage cheese balls are moist, tender, meaty and cheesy! Like eating a mini sausage biscuit (or so my son says).
The texture of these sausage cheese balls are perfect! I can’t even tell you how many dry, overly bready sausage cheese balls I’ve had in the past. There MUST be a balance. Not that I’m some kinda sausage cheese ball expert or anything…just saying. I know what I like. And I like balance.
You can eat these sausage cheese balls plain which is how I like them or you can serve then with a dip. This may sound gross but I like them with a grape jelly dip. Trust me, it works!! You could also serve them with honey mustard dip or a chili sauce dip or if you’re down south like me, try a good ol comeback sauce.
Be sure to choose a sausage that is highly seasoned (most of them are) but if not, you”ll have a pretty bland tasting sausage cheese ball on your hands. It may be wise to bake a couple test sausage balls just incase you need to add in extra spices like onion powder, garlic powder, etc. I use Brims turkey sausage and Earth Fare premium cheddar cheese. The sausage is full of spices and makes a great sausage cheese ball.
Watch me make these sausage cheese balls from start to finish!!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 16 oz ground turkey sausage, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- melted butter & parselyy for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking sheet with greased parchment paper or a spilpat mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Add in ground sausage.
- Use your hands to mix everything in until all of the flour mixture is incorporated into the sausage.
- Add in the cream cheese and work it evenly into the mixture.
- Add in the grated cheese and work it evenly into the mixture.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop to scoop out the mixture into even-sized balls.
- Place on a prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Serve plain or with a jelly, mustard or bbq dip.