Sausage Cheese Balls (without bisquick)
One of my favorite appetizers growing up were sausage cheese balls! My grandmother only made them around Christmas time for some reason but that just made them even more special. I thought it was because they were hard to make, so you can imagine my surprise when I asked her for the recipe a few years ago. Super easy!!
Normally sausage cheese balls are made with Bisquick, but I never have the stuff on hand so I make them from scratch. They turn out amazing and I actually prefer them this way now. Sorry Bisquick.
These sausage cheese balls are moist, tender, meaty and cheesy! Like eating a mini sausage biscuit (or so my son says).
The texture of these sausage cheese balls are perfect! I can’t even tell you how many dry, overly bready sausage cheese balls I’ve had in the past. There MUST be a balance. Not that I’m some kinda sausage cheese ball expert or anything…just saying. I know what I like. And I like balance.
You can eat these sausage cheese balls plain which is how I like them or you can serve then with a dip. This may sound gross but I like them with a grape jelly dip. Trust me, it works!! You could also serve them with honey mustard dip or a chili sauce dip or if you’re down south like me, try a good ol comeback sauce.
Be sure to choose a sausage that is highly seasoned (most of them are) but if not, you”ll have a pretty bland tasting sausage cheese ball on your hands. It may be wise to bake a couple test sausage balls just incase you need to add in extra spices like onion powder, garlic powder, etc. I use Brims turkey sausage and Earth Fare premium cheddar cheese. The sausage is full of spices and makes a great sausage cheese ball.
Watch me make these sausage cheese balls from start to finish!!
Get the Recipe: Sausage Balls
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 16 oz ground turkey sausage, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- melted butter & parselyy for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking sheet with greased parchment paper or a spilpat mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Add in ground sausage.
- Use your hands to mix everything in until all of the flour mixture is incorporated into the sausage.
- Add in the cream cheese and work it evenly into the mixture.
- Add in the grated cheese and work it evenly into the mixture.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop to scoop out the mixture into even-sized balls.
- Place on a prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Serve plain or with a jelly, mustard or bbq dip.