- Be sure to not overbake! Check the cake at 30 minutes as some ovens run really hot.
- To bake cupcakes, bake for 18-20 minutes, checking at the 18 minute mark.
OK OK I’VE HEARD YOU! YOU WANT A GOOD RED VELVET CAKE RECIPE AND YOU WANT IT NOW!!!! (Yeah I’ve got your emails lol. I love you guys!)
I have been on the search for the best homemade red velvet cake recipe for a while now. I wanted one that was easy, super moist, melt-in-your mouth soft with that signature light chocolaty red velvet taste.
I’ve tried a few recipes that were…OK. Nothing that really blew my stilettos off though. Until I played around with merging three recipes (God I love Chemistry) and out came THE MASTERPIECE!!!
This red velvet cake recipe is SUPERB!!!! And look it passes the stick to the back of the fork test like a champ!
Of course I had to make this a down home southern red velvet cake and put my G.R.I.T (girl raised in the south) stamp on it by adding in some good ol hot coffee. It takes this cake to the next level!! (don’t worry you can’t taste the coffee) It just kicks up that red velvet taste so don’t skip this step. Even if you have to run to Mickey D’s or the gas station to get a cup. I use Folgers Vanilla Biscotti, but any plain kind will do.
The cream cheese frosting that goes with this red velvet cake is….how can I say this…. THE BOMB!!! It’s silky smooth, light, and sweet but not so sweet that it overpowers the cake like some cream cheese frosting tend to do, you know what I’m saying?
I hope that you guys enjoy this red velvet cake as much as I do. Lord knows I didn’t want to make this cake…but I have to give my spoiled readers what they demand…..and now I have all this cake…. that I have to eat all by myself…..*sigh* oh well….life is tough like that sometimes.
Watch me make this Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe from start to finish!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 Tablespoon of unsweetened, cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1-2 oz. red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee (don’t skip this ingredient)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
- Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until combined.
- Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
- Generously grease and flour two round cake pans with crisco and flour.
- Pour the batter evenly into each pan.
- Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools.
- Let cool on a cooling rack until the pan are warm to the touch.
- Slide a knife or offset spatula around the inside of the pans to loosen the cake from the pan.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool.
- Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely.