I’ve been making my share of red velvet cakes over the past few months and wanted a cream cheese frosting that was a tad bit lighter than my previous cream cheese frosting recipe.
This light cream cheese frosting is exactly like the name says, light. It’s not as fluffy and delicate as a whipped cream cheese frosting but it’s also not as heavy as a regular cream cheese frosting. Its a happy little mixture of both!
I love this frosting on cakes because it has such a balanced amount of sweetness and the texture is creamy and soft, yet firm enough to handle the weight of layered cakes.
Looking for a cream cheese frosting that’s a lil more heavier? Check out my fluffy cream cheese frosting!
Light Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick real butter softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Beat cream cheese, butter and heavy whipping cream until fluffy and combined.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Mix on high speed until creamy and light.
- Add more cream or powdered sugar to adjust the thickness if needed.
Kick it up! Add extracts such and orange, peppermint or coconut to enhance the flavors to go with certain cakes. I love adding in a dash of coconut or mint extract for chocolate cakes.
You may need more or less powdered sugar or heavy whipping cream.