I think I just found my new favorite sugar cookie recipe, cream cheese sugar cookies!! I know I’ve said that before with this sugar cookie recipe, but no yall seriously, I think this one has my heart. So what better thing to do with this cream cheese sugar cookies recipe than to make these little cute heart sandwich cookies.
These cookies remind me of those conversation hearts candy and you can easily turn them into conversation heart cookies by using icing or food coloring stamps to write cute messages. Growing up I never liked conversation hearts candy. I felt like I was eating chalk or antacid pills, but they always looked so pretty with the pastel colors that I ate them anyway : )
These cream cheese sugar cookie heart sandwiches are little, cute, light and I could seriously eat the whole batch of these things. So yeah, I’d label them as dangerous.
Cream cheese really makes for a chewy, flavorful cookie and that almond extract adds a unique flavor that sets them apart from your average sugar cookie. Make them. You’ll love them!
Watch me make these cream cheese sugar cookies (heart sandwich cookies) from start to finish!!
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies Recipe - Conversation Hearts Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup real butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Food coloring red, blue, purple, green, yellow
- White frosting or marshmallow fluff
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar, cream cheese & butter.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Combine the dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
- Divide into 5 even-sized balls
- Place dough balls into a bowl.
- Add food coloring of choice to each ball of dough, using a spoon to distribute the color.
- Wrap the dough if saran wrap. Flatten.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on a flat surface and carefully roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out 2-inch size heart shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Place on a nonstick baking sheets
- Bake for 4-5 minutes. Baking times may vary based on your oven.
- Remove from oven and place cookies on a cooling rack. They will continue to cook as they cool so do not over bake.
- When cooled spread a layer of frosting or marshmallow fluff in the center of a cookie and top with another cookie.
- Store in an airtight container.
I prefer to use liquid food coloring to color the dough than the gel food coloring. It's easier.
Be sure that the cookie dough is thoroughly chilled before rolling. This prevents spreading of the cookies.
Want a different flavor? Try different extracts like mint (ooooh la la), orange, coconut or butter! Yum!
Do not overbake! You want to take them out of the oven when they are a tad undercooked. They will finish cooking a little when they come out of the oven. This will result in a chewy, yet firm sugar cookie.