Don’t you just love an easy, fresh, hearty, one dish meal? I know I sure do, which is why this simple whole roasted chicken and vegetables get made at least once a month in this house, especially since it’s so easy to swap out different veggies to go with the season.
In this recipe I’m using potatoes, onions and carrots (this is proably my favorite combination).
My grandmother made this dish a lot growing up. I’ve tried changing it up with different spices but I always go back to using just some plain ol’ salt, pepper and butter. It seasons everything up but still allows for the natural flavors to shine through.
I made this yesterday for Sunday dinner and it looked so pretty all plated up on the table. By the end of the night though that poor bird was all bones.
If I have time or if I’m making this for company, I usually brine the bird overnight using this simple brine right here. It makes the chicken crazy moist but if not then I just roast it slowly in the oven and it comes out juicy and tender. Just be careful not to overcook or you’ll have a dry bird on your hands
The chicken is done with it reacher 180 F on a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh without touching the bone. I usually just give the leg a wiggle and if it moves freely I know it’s done. Or I’ll stick a toothpick in the leg and if the juices come out clean I know she’s good and ready!
NOTE* The stuffing is just for aromatics and moisture. I always discard it after it’s done roasting.
Watch me makes this whole roasted chicken and vegetables from start to finish!
Whole Roasted Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
- 5 lb whole chicken
- 5 carrot chopped
- 12 red potatoes chopped or left whole
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon salt I never use all of it
- 1 Tablespoon pepper I never use all of it
- 4 Tablespoon butter melted
- 1 green apple sliced
- 1/2 orange slice
- 1 garlic clove
- Place the fresh vegetables in a large bowl.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some pepper.
- Use your hands to toss everything to get them combined and coated with olive oil.
- Dump them into a casserole dish.
- Prepare the Chicken
- Wash and dry the chicken.
- Season the cavity with salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken generously with butter.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the inside of the chicken with chopped apples, oranges and garlic.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Tie kitchen thread around the legs to hold them together if desired. You may also use some toothpicks to close the cavity of the chicken.
- Bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours.