Visual learner? Watch me make these vegan chocolate chip cookies from start to finish!
You know what sucks? When someone says” Omg serioulsy, this (cookie, cake, pie etc) doesn’t taste (gluten-free, vegan, paleo, Catholic, etc) at all! Like you totally can’t tell!”
And then, with much anticipation and excitement, you go to taste said treats, only to realize, they absolutely do! Ugh!!! I wish people would stop saying that! You’re losing folks trust here!
I’m guilty of saying it too , but like, when I say it, I mean it. For real! : )
And I’m about to say it again in five, four, three, two,
Yall!! OMG, these vegan chocolate chip cookies taste like regular, freakin’ chocolate chip cookies!!
I mean it! You might even like them better than your go-to chocolate chip cookies recipe. Yeah I said it!
They are so soft and chewy, even without egg and butter! What the heck!?! These vegan chocolate chip cookied have me questioning my entire cooking life right now.
If I can get away with using applesauce instead of an egg….then shoot…maybe I should save my calories & cellulite for something else.
I’ve been cooking a lot of vegan dishes lately thanks to so many of my family and friends turning vegan on me.
I wish folks would stick to one diet lifestyle per year!
Ha! Joking, I LOVE that my circle of family and friends consists of so many different dietary lifestyles. Sometimes it can be tough trying to keep up and accommodate everyone, (because I be doggone if you’re gonna come to my house and not have anything you can eat! Not on my watch!) but the challenge excites me.
There is something incredibly thrilling about trying to recreate a favorite recipe without using specific ingredients. I know…I’m weird, but I’m loyal.
I’d like to think that I do a pretty darn good job! I mean hello Moist Gluten-Free Carrot Cake, Soft Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, Paleo Frosted Pumpkin Bars, Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie, & Vegan Almond Butter Cups
You’ll love how easy these vegan chocolate chip cookies are to make and I pinky promise they don’t taste like they lack anything! I found all of the ingredients in Walmart but I’ve also been able to find everything in Target. However my Target only carries the mini Enjoylife chocolate chips, whereas Walmart has the normal size.
I gave these cookies to my boys, and they inhaled them without questioning a thing. Even my self-proclaimed, chocolate chip cookie affenciando husband said: “These chocolate chip cookies are amazing! What did you do to get them so soft?”
That is a win in my book!
Confused on a step? Watch the recipe!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan light brown sugar I used Wholesome
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup vegan butter I used Earth Balance
- 1/3 cup vegan shortening I used Spectrum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips divided (I used Enjoylife)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugars, applesauce, butter, and shortening.
- Stir in vanilla extract if using. Set aside.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry mixture into wet mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Fold in 3/4 cups chocolate chips.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes. (optional but makes a chewier cookie)
- Using a mini cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon worth of dough) drop the cookies 2 inches apart. (I like to roll each ball in my hands to make them perfectly round and smooth)
- Press the dough ball down gently to flatten then just a bit.
- Using the remaining chocolate chips, press a few chocolate chips lightly into each ball.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely whil still on the pan.