Old Fashioned Apple Crisp Recipe
I LOVE apple crisp! I probably love it a lil bit too much and my gut can testify. I prefer my apple crisp to have a gooey, crispy yet chewy type topping but I have been getting sooooo many requests to do an apple crisp with a crispy type topping. Kinda like that old school kind that grandma used to make.
Since I don’t normally make my apple crisps this way I had to use the power of Twitter. Twitter is like the God of the internet, you ask and you receive!! I asked around to see if anyone had a good old fashioned apple crisp recipe that was tried and true. Immediately I got a response back from lilTanti888 with this recipe! She said her southern grandmother who is 95 and lives in Cokesbury, SC made it all the time and it was BANGIN!
I have never heard of Cokesbury but doesn’t it sound like a lil country town tucked deep in the south with dirt roads and full of grandmas? I didn’t even have to think twice about whether or not I was going to make it. I know how those deep southern grandmothers can throw down!
Well, this recipe sums up old fashioned apple crisp beautifully! The topping is crispy, buttery, sweet and the apples….the apples yall….are simply wonderful! The tartness of the granny smith with the cinnamon and sugar….you know the collaboration of flavors I’m talking about. It just says “comfort” and smells heavenly while baking. In my opinion, this is the best ending to a meal.
However, it is with a heavy heart filled with much guilt that I announce that I have just about finished up this whole pan in one night…… and you know what makes it even more terrible yall besides that fact that I had ice cream with it… I HAD THE NERVE TO TOP THIS APPLE CRISP WITH CRUSHED PECANS AND DRIZZLED ON SOME CARAMEL TOPPING!! WTH was I thinking???? Why do I always do this to myself???
Uggghhh! Why do people invent recipes like this in the first place?! Completely shot one of my new year’s resolutions to hell!! But ya know what…tomorrow is a new day to get it right,….to start over…fresh….so I’ll just put that lil pan in the sink and pretend it never even happened. Apple Crisp? What apple crisp? ; )
Watch me make this apple crisp from start to finish!
- 5-6 Granny Smith apples
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (Not the instant Oats or the Old Fashioned Oats)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 12 Tablespoons butter, chopped
- Preheat Oven to 375
- Peel & slice apples.
- Add the apples to a bowl and coat them with the brown sugar, cinnamon & white sugar.
- Pour the apples in a medium casserole dish and let the apples sit for about 15 minutes. This will cause the sugars to “syrup up” a little.
- Let’s make the topping! In a bowl add the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, & white sugar. Mix it up until well combined.
- Add the 12 Tablespoons of softened butter to the topping mixture. Use a pastry cutter or fork to combine the butter until it crumbly.
- Pour the 3 Tablespoons of melted butter over the apples.
- Spoon the topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.