How to Make Easy, Creamy Homemade Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 8 medium Russet Potatoes
- Chicken Broth ( enough to cover
- potatoes to boil them in)
- 1/2 cup half n half (can also use milk)
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 4-8 Tablespoons real butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Paprika, garlic powder, Rosemary (optional seasonings)
- Place whole potatoes in a pot and cover with chicken broth.
- Cover & bring to a boil. Cook potatoes for about 30 minutes or until fork tender. The fork should slide easily into the potato.
- When potatoes are tender, drain the broth and set aside. Save a little broth to use to thin out your potatoes if needed.
- In a small saucepan, add half n half, butter, & sour cream. Heat just until warm. Do not boil.
- While cream sauce is heating mash up the potatoes. I like to use a whisk!
- When potatoes are mashed add in the cream mixture a little at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Use the reserved chicken broth and/or half n half to thin out your potatoes to the perfect consistency. I like mine thick and creamy so I usually only add in a few tablespoons of half half and chicken broth. I usually add in about 3-4 tablespoons of butter as well.
- Now add in a few seasonings. I like to use paprika, garlic powder, rosemary, salt & pepper. This seasoning combo tastes so good on potatoes to me. Feel free to use what you like! Chives and parsley are good as well.
- Add the seasonings in a little at a time and taste after each addition to make sure it is perfectly seasoned.
- Serve piping hot!!
Tips on How to Get The Perfect Pot Of Homemade Mashed Potatoes
*Mash it up well but don’t overdo it or you’ll have some clumpy, gluey potatoes on your hand!- I swear by my whisk for mashing up potatoes. It really puts the air into them and makes them so light and fluffy. It’s a workout though so be prepared to have burning arms by the time you are
done. It’s totally worth it though. You could also use a mixer but I found that sometimes it can make the potatoes gluey-like. *Cook Potatoes in Chicken Broth. Or you could also use water but everyone I know that has tried cooking them in chicken broth says it tastes way better. Try it and see!
*Always Add Warmed Ingredients To Mashed Potatoes. Adding cold ingredients can cause your mashed potatoes to taste gritty. Whatever you decided to add to your mashed potatoes make sure that it is warmed up or at least at room temperature.