“Chewy, extra fudgy vegan brownies made with simple ingredients!”
Visual learner?Watch me make this vegan brownies from start to finish!”
Only one more week before cookbook recipe testing is done! Yep all 80+ recipes! Then I’m off to the beach to write all of the nostalgic stories that go along with each one. I’m so excited about that part. Lord knows I need a semi-vacay, and I always write better when I have an inspiring view.
It’s a been a long process of testing & tweaking EVERY recipe, but I’m so pumped to present this cookbook to you guys. It’s a keeper!! Like, for real, these recipes are the bomb! It’s like that old Lauren Hill Miseducation album where all the songs were lit! Memba that? *toot toot goes my horn*
Anyway, between cookbook recipe testing and fixing up my grandmother’s home, there’s been lots of family cookouts in the mix. This has left me looking for new items to take and try out. Lately, I’ve been having a blast testing out vegan recipes.
For Memorial Day, I made my vegan family members a heavenly fruit salad! For the 4th I’m making these super fudgy vegan brownies and pairing it with homemade vegan ice cream.
These vegan brownies weren’t much of a challenge at all. I got them right at my first attempt thanks to tip my vegan sister gave me. Generally for the eggs in vegan recipes, I replace them with applesauce but my sister hipped to making flax “eggs”.
I put ground flax seed in my smoothies, but I had no idea it could be used as an egg replacement. Soaking ground flaxseed in water results in a thick, gelatinous mixture that is perfect for binding ingredients.
They are so fudgy, chewy, and downright delicious!
If you are a fan of super, fudgy brownies, then these will win you over! They are practically begging for a cold glass of milk (almond milk) and vanilla ice cream. We are not vegan (or even close to) in my house but we still love lots of vegan dishes. When you can make a vegan recipe and have it taste just like it’s “normal” replica, that’s a real win in my book.
I hope you guys enjoy these dark and fudgy vegan brownies just as much as we did!!
Fudgy Vegan Brownies
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons vegan butter melted (I used earth balance)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mini semi-sweet chocolate chips I used enjoy life
- Preheat oven to 350. F.
- Line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper and grease it. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together ground flax seed and hot water.
- Let sit for 15-minutes until thick and stretchy, like egg whites.
- In a large bowl stir together white sugar, brown sugar, and butter.
- Add in flaxseed mixture and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Allow to cool until brownies are set. (I place in the fridge or freezer to speed this part up)
- Once brownies have cooled, cut them into squares.
- Store in air-tight container.