“Soft & Chewy Glazed Lemon Brownies made with fresh lemon!”
Visual learner? Watch me make this recipe from start to finish!
Last week I made some natural lemon bathroom cleaner (remind me to give you that recipe, it’s so bomb!). That bright, fresh lemon scent put me in the mood for some of my chewy glazed lemon brownies!
I know, pretty odd to get a food craving from cleaning the bathroom but that’s how my odd brain works. It doesn’t take much sister!
It’s been years since I’ve made lemon brownies. Every Spring and Summer I start seeing these lemony yellow beauties floating around Pinterest and Facebook, just teasing me all willy nilly while I’m trying my best to keep my infamous muffin top in check.
What’s a girl to do with all this temptation!?!? ……Give in of course! Yolo! Tomorrow’s not promised! Nobody ever died saying I’m glad I only ate healthy stuff, Can’t win ’em all!! You get the point, grab an excuse and *clap* MAKE *clap*THESE *clap*BROWNIES *clap*GIRL!
These glazed lemon brownies have the same texture as a soft and chewy brownie only in lemon form. It’s slightly “fudgy”, slightly cakey and downright divine!
Are lemon brownies really brownies or blondies?
Have you ever had lemon brownies? Some folks call them lemon bars or lemon blondies but lemon brownies sound so much cooler don’t you think. Besides, this is the recipe I use for making chocolate brownies only with a few adjustments. The texture is definitely more like a brownie than a blondie to me. So it’s a brownie, m-kay.
Don’t argue with me on this. I will not change my mind. I’m a stubborn Taurus who still thinks Tupac is alive despite all the evidence stating otherwise. #longlivetupacIseeyouboo
Ok so let’s talk about the robust lemon flavor that these brownies rock so well! It comes from fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and all-natural lemon extract (to really bump up that flavor). And if that wasn’t enough lemon flavor to induce lemon nirvana, these brownies are finished off with a tart glaze that tastes like lemonade!
It’s a true lemon lovers brownie for sure!
Want a denser texture? Here’s how!
Something tells me that these babies would be a hit at bake sales. Back in my bake sale days, lemon anything was always the first to go. These lemon brownies get even better the next day! Once stored in an airtight container for a day the texture becomes denser and fudgier so keep that in mind. I always prefer it the next day!
Enjoy honey pies!
Chewy Glazed Lemon Brownies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon natural lemon extract
- LEMON GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- lemon zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325. F.
- Line an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar.
- Mix in eggs and buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together flour and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing just until the flour is well incorporated.
- Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Pour into prepared dish and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until center is set (Be careful not to overbake. Brownies should be a bit fudgy)
- Let brownies cool completely.
- While brownies are cooling, stir together glaze ingredients until silky and smooth.
- Spread glaze onto cooled brownies and sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Once the glaze has hardened, cut brownies into 2-inch cubes.
- Store in airtight container.