Weekday Candied Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
There is nothing better than a dish of candied yams that have been slowly baked in the oven for hours, just simmering in that sugary mixture YUM!!
I love sweet potatoes I just don’t like having to turn my oven on for an hour+ to cook them to perfection the way I like, so I save that recipe for special occasions like Thanksgiving.
On the weekdays when I ‘m craving sweet potatoes to pair with a pot roast and cabbage I turn to this recipe. It is just as delicious and doesn’t require me to turn my oven on.
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Wash and peel two large yams or sweet potatoes.
- Cut off the ends of yams and throw away.
- Cut yams into 1/2 inch thick circles.
- Melt butter in a large pot. and place yams into the pot
- In a bowl combine sugar, nutmeg, & cinnamon.
- Pour sugar mixture on top of yams.
- Stir well to cover yams with the mixture.
- Cover yams and reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes or until yams are fork tender. You may need to toss yams gently halfway in the cooking process to make sure they aren’t sticking to the pan but be gentle.
- When yams are done transfer to a baking dish. Use a spatula or slotted spoon to keep from breaking them up. You can also pour a teaspoon of vanilla extract into the remaining syrup and pour over the yams at this point if desired.
- Serve piping hot & enjoy!