Baked Sour Cream, Cheddar & Chive Mashed Potatoes
“Creamy, cheesy, fluffy, buttery and delicious can accurately sum up these baked sour cream, cheddar & chive mashed potatoes! They are the perfect side dish for holidays or family gatherings. “
I think this is the third mashed potato dish I’ve posted on this blog. There’s easy mashed potatoes, cream cheese mashed potatoes and now I give thee baked sour cream, cheddar and chive mashed potatoes! Dare I say they are my fav?..Again!
Have mercy. These baked mashed potatoes are amazing and a Sunday dinner favorite. It’s a very simple and basic dish really and for the record sour cream and chives belong together forever. The end.
I keep telling myself I’m going to try these baked mashed potatoes with smoked cheese because you all know I feel about my smoked cheeses, love them!
But every time I make this dish I’m always in the mood for something simple and classic. If you decide to try it with different cheeses, let me know how it turns out ok?
I’d definitely shred my own cheese for this dish if I were you. I was lazy and used the pre-shredded stuff. Call me crazy but I can tell the difference.
These baked sour cream, cheddar and chive mashed potatoes (long word geez) goes PERFECT with just about any kind of roasted or baked meat or even a nice grilled steak!
Now this recipe does not hold back on the calories so you’ve been warned! Put your waistline on the back burner for a few seconds and you are in for one buttery, creamy, dreamy side dish!
Watch me make these baked sour cream cheddar & chive mashed potatoes from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Baked Sour Cream, Cheddar & Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, washed ( *update* I now use Golden potatoes! SO good)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large garlic clove
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half n half
- About 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- salt n pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 9 x9 inch casserole dish. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes and slice each one lengthwise into even slices.
- Place potatoes in a 3 quart pot and cover with chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer until potatoes are fork tender and some are falling apart, about 20-30 minutes.
- Pour off all of the chicken broth and return potatoes back to the heat. (can remove garlic if desired or dice it up and combine with potatoes.)
- Reduce the heat to low and allow the excess liquid to gently steam out of the potatoes for a few minutes.
- When the steaming has slowed down, sprinkle in the butter. Do not stir, just let the butter melt where it falls.
- Once the butter has melted, use a potato masher and gently mash the potatoes once going around the pot. (do one pass only so make it count!) *see note*
- Very gently fold in the sour cream and half n half.
- Stir about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese and chives just until combined.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper.
- Gently mash the potatoes again until all the large lumps are gone and potatoes are smooth.
- Pour half of the potatoes into the prepared pan and sprinkle with a layer of cheese (about 1/2 cup or more)
- Top with remaining potatoes and finish with a final layer of cheddar cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil paper and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh chives (optional)
- Serve immediately.