Who could pass up the chance of indulging in little apple pies on a stick. I sure couldn’t and just had to make these darling little apple pie pops! Thanks to pinterest these cuties are super popular right about now. They’ve been floating around the blogosphere for years and I knew it wouldn’t only be a matter of time before I buckled down and gave them a shot. I wasn’t a huge fan of the cake pops from the start but I was for sure I’d probably love pie pops. I simple adore a good pie.
I’m so glad I decided to make these because they are just so freakin cute and yummy!! These apple pie pops (complete with a blue ribbon) would make great favors for fall events like weddings, baby showers, parties, etc. The stick kinda annoyed my husband though. He said they taste amazing but he’d much rather just be able to pop them into his mouth without fooling with the stick. I think I agree. *making a mental note to make apple pie bites this fall*
I used apple filling because it’s one of our favorite pie fillings but you can really use any kind of filling you’d like! Nutella is next on my list, please believe this! This pie pop recipe is easy to cheat with by using refrigerated pie crust and canned filling but please don’t!! There is just nothing like the taste of a flaky, buttery, homemade pie crust and fresh baked, cinnamonny apples. You’re taste buds will love you a little bit more if you make them from scratch.
Watch me make these pretty little apple pie pops from start to finish!
Apple Pie Pops
By Divas Can Cook
- PIE CRUST
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour (plus more if needed0
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon cold butter, chopped in pieces
- ¼ cup butter-flavored shortening
- ¼ cup ice water (plus more if dough seems too dry)
- APPLE MIXTURE (this makes a lot)
- 2 large granny smith apples, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- cinnamon sugar
- butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening until crumbly.
- Add cold water and stir until a dough ball forms. Add more flour if needed.
- Flatten dough into a disk, wrap with clear wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes or until cold.
- In a medium bowl, add finely diced apples, white sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Stir to combine; set aside.
- Flour a work surface and press cold dough out until it is about ⅛ inch thick.
- Use a small cookie cutter to cut out circles.
- Place the circles on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Insert a lollipop stick firmly into the center of the circles.
- Place a dollop of the apple mixture in the center of the dough circle.
- Stretch out a dough circle for the top crust so that it overlaps the bottom circle slightly.
- Use a fork or an extra lollipop stick to create a ribbed edge, sealing the pie pop firmly.
- Brush the pie pops lightly with egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Create four vent holes in the top crust.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove with oven and brush with butter.
- Let cool completely before packaging.