I got hipped to energy bites in 2006 when I visited this amazing Farmers Market in Hermosa Beach. Talk about a variety of healthy snacks!! It seemed like as soon as I got home recipes for these amazing granola energy bites were popping up everywhere! Isn’t that crazy how that happens?
If you’re wondering what the heck is an energy bite? Well it’s a little ball of healthy, wholesome ingredients that will keep you full and satisfy that sweet tooth. You can really make them into any shape you want but balls are so cute. It’s basically just a form of healthy granola with a cool name that makes you wonder what it tastes like.
These peanut butter chocolate energy bites are freaking awesome because:
[box type=”info” align=”aligncenter” ]
1.) Perfect for before or after workouts.
2.) Curbs the appetite and sweet cravings.
3.) Portable and cute!
4.) No-baking required
5.) Easy, wholesome ingredients
6.) Kids LOVE them!
7.) Great for increasing breastmilk in nursing moms (I’m trying to ween my little guy so this was not a good perk for me, but wonderful for new mommies looking to build up a low supply)
8.) They taste GREAT!!! 9.) Very versatile! I’ve made oatmeal raisin, harvest (with various nuts and berries), cake batter, you name it!! They are really fun to experiment with. [/box]
Ok you get the point and it’s always a great thing to have recipes for healthy no-baked snacks right? Well go ahead and add this to the list because they are fantastic!!
It didn’t take long for me to start experimenting with different flavors thanks to pinterest! Chocolate peanut butter is my favorite hands down though!! You just can’t go wrong with the classic chocolate peanut butter combination.
These no-bake energy bites really knocks out my sweet tooth and keep me from snacking on cake and cookies. Y’all know my sweet tooth is something fierce…um hello cookies and cream blondies topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup, remember those? lol
You guys begged me to post a “healthier” snack option after that recipe and I knew instantly that these peanut butter chocolate energy bites would be a great option for all my dieters out there (including me!)
Here are the brands that I used. I got everything from Target except for the honey.
- Raw Honey (from Farmers Market)
- Creamy Peanut Butter (Smuckers Creamy Organic Peanut Butter)
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (Let’s Do Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes)
- Ground Flaxseed (Bob’s Red Mill Ground Flaxseed Meal)
- 1 minute Oats (Quaker)
- Rice Krispies (Gluten-Free Rice Krispies)
- Mini Chocolate Chip (Enjoy Life dairy, soy and nut free chocolate chips
Watch me make these No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Bites from start to finish!
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1½ cups oats (I used 1 minute oats for texture reasons)
- ½ cup Rice Krispies
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (can use more)
- In a large bowl, cream together peanut butter and honey.
- Fold in vanilla extract if using.
- Stir in ground flax seed, coconut flakes, oats, Rice Krispies and mini chocolate chip.
- Stir until well combined (this takes a lot of stirring) Mixture should be thick and sticky.
- Freeze for about 10 minutes or until chilled.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop to scoop out the mixture.
- Roll into balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or counter.