My grandmother is the best cook in our family. Everyone always calls her when they need a tried and true recipe. Unfortunately, 95% of the time she’s a “add a pinch of this and a shake of that” type cook. If you’re not familiar with playing around with recipes, it’s enough to drive you crazy trying to replicate her cooking.
This is when family calls me. I’ve somehow learned to decode her recipes by playing around with them long enough and watching her cook. This coleslaw is one of those decoded recipes. I was fortunate enough to find several copies of this recipe floating around the web and in southern church potluck cookbooks so figuring out the exact measurements was pretty easy.
This easy, creamy coleslaw recipe seems to please even those picky “I hate coleslaw” people which makes it great for potlucks and cookouts. It’s a great balance of sweetness, creaminess, and vinegary-ness (best word ever).
I love that this recipe doesn’t stray far from the traditional coleslaw ingredients. It’s great the first day you make it but lawd have mercy on the next day. I throw it on hot dogs, hamburgers, fish, you name it.
Watch me make this easy, creamy coleslaw from start to finish!!
Creamy, Crunchy & Perfectly Sweetened Coleslaw!
By Divas Can Cook
- ½ head cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled
- ¼ small onion (about 2-3 Tablespoons)
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (I used Dukes)
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2½ tablespoons buttermilk
- 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (may need a lil more or less)
- Grate cabbage, carrot and onion.
- Place into a large bowl. Toss and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, buttermilk, white vinegar, and sugar.
- Whisk until creamy.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight for flavors to combine.