Strawberry Shortcake Bars
If summer was a dessert, it would definitely be a strawberry shortcake in this house. I love strawberry shortcakes! It’s such a light, refreshing end to a grilled summer dinner or even brunch. Whenever I throw a cookout you can bet that you will find these strawberry shortcake bars and snickers ice cream sandwich cake on the dessert table. They are true summer staples around here and easy to make.
Hit up your local farmers market for some really big, fresh, sweet, and juicy strawberries and you’re in for a treat honey!
The cake layer is not your typical angel food cake. It’s more like a fluffy vanilla-butter-pound cake in taste. Dense enough to handle that cream cheese layer and strawberries, yet tender enough to melt in your mouth. It’s the perfect trio of flavors and textures.
Watch me make these strawberry shortcake bars from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Strawberry Shortcake Bars
- BUTTER-VANILLA CAKE
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberries
- CREAM LAYER
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping, Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter until creamy.
- Mix in eggs, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternate between adding in the flour and milk, beating after each addition.
- Beat until all ingredients are combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Pour batter evenly into the dish.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. The cake will be flat and light in color.
- Let cool completely. Set aside.
- Dice up strawberries. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and frozen whipped topping.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on top of cooled cake.
- Top with fresh, diced strawberries.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Make it colorful! I love using a mixture of fresh diced peaches, strawberries, kiwi, and pineapples on top. Very pretty!
Feeling lazy and don't want to make the homemade cake? It's ok. I've been there. Use a boxed butter-flavored pound cake mix and prepare it in a 9 x 13-inch pan.