I had a Sunday brunch date with my two favorite men and made this cinnamon roll coffee cake. Now if you’re worried that this coffee cake may be a a little to sweet with all that butter and sugar and stuff, no worries.
This cinnamon roll coffee cake is fluffy, light and has just the right amount of sweetness. It went great with coffee and mixed fresh fruit. I could even go for a second piece, something I can’t do with cinnamon rolls. ….Ok dang I’m lying, I totally smash cinnamon rolls back to back.
The cake part is a pretty simple and basic tasting coffee cake, but with that gooey, buttery, brown sugar cinnamon spread swirled throughout and that cream cheese glaze drizzled on top, takes it gently over the edge.
I can see this gorgeous cinnamon roll coffee cake being served for special days like Mother’s Day, Christmas mornings, wedding brunches and so forth. It’s easy and looks pretty darn irresistible. My 3 year-old told me to make it 500 more times so I guess that means it’s a winner in our house.
It’s kinda hard to tell when this cake is done, so you need to insert your toothpick into the cake part not the gooey cinnamon part (see video). Allow the cake to set for about 10-15 minutes before cutting it. This helps that hot, gooey cinnamon filling to firm up a bit. We dug right into it when it was piping hot from the oven and it was so soft and light that it just fell apart, not that we minded. When it had cooled down a tad it was perfect!
Be prepared to serve this cake warm because just like cinnamon rolls, it just isn’t the same when it’s cooled off completely. I reheated the leftovers in the microwave this morning and it was just as good, if not better.
Watch me make this cinnamon roll coffee cake from start to finish!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup butter, melted
- CINNAMON TOPPING
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk (may need more)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Beat in milk, eggs, vanilla
- Stir in melted butter.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased 9 X 13 inch pan. Set aside
- Cinnamon Topping
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the cinnamon topping ingredients until creamy
- Drop spoonfuls of the cinnamon topping mixture on top of the batter.
- Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon mixture into the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cream Cheese Glaze
- Make the glaze by mixing all of the glaze ingredients until silky. You may need more milk or more powdered sugar to reach a desired glaze consistency.
- Insert a toothpick into the cake part to check for doneness.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes before serving
- Drizzle on the cream cheese glaze.
- Serve warm.