It’s State Fair season around these parts!!! Yayy!! I’m not going to the state fair this year but when I was growing up we went often and I LOVED it! All that weird food that my mother wouldn’t dare make for us. Pure heaven.
The last time I went to the state fair was probably 2 years ago and I was dreaming of that fried, artery clogging food many days before.
Hot funnel cakes, seasoned fried turkey legs, huge roasted ears of corn, sweet fried oreos…ahhh…those are just a few of my favorite carnival/ fair foods that I eat once a year, if that. Since I won’t be going to the State Fair this year I thought I’d bring it to me by whipping up some of my favorite fair foods, starting with the beloved funnel cake!
I’ve made funnel cakes on my blog before a few years ago. I actually have 3 funnel cake recipes that I like to make and will be listing the last one (my favorite) next month. My husband loved this recipe and he’s not a big funnel cake lover like me.
I like this funnel cake recipe because it’s easy, yummy, straight forward and gets me my funnel cake fix in a hurry.
If you’ve never had a funnel cake then…then just bless your heart. They are so good. Think of hot, pillowy soft waffles topped with powdered sugar. I prefer my funnel cakes plain, with just powdered sugar, but occasionally I’ll opt for the strawberry and cream version, fried apple or chocolate syrup on top.
Watch me make these easy funnel cakes from start to finish!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 2 Tablespoon white sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar
- strawberries sliced (optional)
- cool whip optional
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat brown sugar, white sugar, milk and egg until well blended.
- Add half of the flour mixture into the egg mixture, beating just until incorporated and then beat in the other half of mixture.
- Let the funnel cake mixture rest for about 10 minutes. Pour the batter into a liquid measuring cup to make it easier to pour into the funnel. Prepare your desired topping while waiting like slicing strawberries, etc)
- Heat oil in a skillet to about 365 to 370 degrees.
- Pour a third of the mixture into a funnel. Use your finger to cover the end of the funnel.
- Hold the end of the funnel close to the oil and then remove your finger.
- Quickly make circles in the oil using a spiraling motion.
- Fry until lightly golden, about 1-3 minutes and then flip. Fry the other side until golden.
- Remove funnel cake from the oil and let drain on a paper towel.
- Garnish and serve immediately with powdered sugar, strawberries and cool whip.
Make sure oil is just right (between 365-370 degrees)
If oil is too hot, cakes will burn. Too cold, cakes will be greasy and soggy.
Serve these funnel cakes hot out of the oil. Cold funnel cakes suck!
Top with fresh fruits, canned fruits in syrup, or chocolate.
Powdered sugar is a MUST always.