which”Oreo cookie crust with layers of cream cheese infused Cool Whip and chocolate pudding! No oven required!”
Visual learner? Watch me make this easy Chocolate Lasagna from start to finish!
We have a lot of dishes in my family that are referred to with names such as “that good chicken,” “those good breakfast potatoes,” and “that holiday mac n cheese.” Anytime someone mentions it, we know exactly what they are talking about. And that includes this recipe for chocolate lasagna known as “that chocolate pudding thang.”
“Ohh, can you bring that chocolate pudding thang?” is usually how it’s requested. And it’s normally only requested during the summer for big family cookouts! I have found myself, on many occasions whipping up chocolate pudding thang at the last minute.
It really is the perfect cookout desserts:
- No baking required! Yes, I love a cold cookout dessert that doesn’t require me to turn on the oven!
- It doubles, triples, and quadruples like a dream! I can create a huge or small pan with ease. Don’t you just love an easy dessert that is easy to scale?
- It uses simple ingredients. This chocolate lasagna only requires 8 simple ingredients: Oreos, Whipped Topping, Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar, Chocolate Pudding, Milk, and Mini Chocolate Chips!
- It’s a crowd-pleaser! Kids and adults love this simple dessert! I always return home with an empty dish, which is the goal because I already know I can eat this entire pan by myself if I’m left alone with it.
- Kids can make it! Chocolate lasagna is one of those desserts that I can feel confident passing off to the kids to make. It’s a step up from this Oreo Ice Box Cake
What is chocolate lasagna?
Chocolate lasagna is a layered, no-bake dessert that features an Oreo cookie crust, a layer of cream cheese infused whipped topping, a layer of chocolate pudding, and a layer of plain whipped topping. It is finished off with a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips (or whatever you want to sprinkle on top). It’s so light, fluffy, and delicious, which makes it super dangerous because you’ll keep going back for more! Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!
What can I sprinkled on top of chocolate lasagna?
Mini chocolate chips make for a quick, decorative finish! However, there are other things that you can use as well. I love adding red, blue, and white sprinkles when I’m making this for summer cookouts or whatever the theme colors are. Here a few more ideas:
- Crushed Oreos
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Crushed candy bars
- Shaved chocolate
- Brownie chunks
- Mini m&m’s
Chocolate Lasanga FAQs
Can I make this chocolate lasagna the night before? Absolutely! I prefer making this day of the event though and giving it the proper time to chill in the fridge. This way all the layers are set and the cookie crust is still crisp. NOTE: Certain brands of chocolate pudding will bleed into the white whipped topping giving it a light tan color once it has set for 24 hours. I notice this more with healthier or reduced-fat brands so if you plain on using these types of brands, you may want to make and serve the same day.
What brands did you use to make this chocolate lasagna?
- Whipped Topping: Cool Whip
- Chocolate Pudding: JELLO instant chocolate pudding
- Cream Cheese: Philadelphia cream cheese
- Whole milk: Horizon
Can I freeze chocolate lasagna? Yes, you can. Just be sure to thaw it before serving.
How long will this chocolate lasagna last in the fridge? 3-4 days.
Can I make my own homemade whipped topping? Yes, beat together 2 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, cream the cream cheese until light. Add HALF of the whipped cream to the cream cheese bowl and mix until combined (You can also add in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract). So now you have the cream cheese-infused whipped topping layer and the whipped topping layer.
Can I make homemade chocolate pudding? Yep! Follow this chocolate pudding recipe.
The cookie crust sticks to the pan. How can I prevent this? Be sure to grease the bottom of the pan generously before laying down the crust.
How can I get this chocolate lasagna to cut smoothly so that I can see all the defined layers? This is a super creamy layered dessert, so when you cut into it, the layers will mix a little. If you want to be able to see all of the defined layers, you’ll need to freeze the dessert slightly before cutting into it. And then wipe off the knife after each cut. Now you see why we just serve it with a big ol spoon in my family! Ain’t nobody got time for that!
I hope you guys enjoy this chocolate lasagna as much as we do!!
- 1 pack Oreo cookies (14.3 oz) Not double-stuffed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 16 oz whipped topping ( I use two 8 oz containers)
- 2 3.9 oz boxes Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 2¼ cups milk
- ¾ mini chocolate chips
- Generously grease a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
- To make the crust, place Oreos into a high-powered blender and blend until fine crumbs.
- Place crumbs in a bowl and mix with melted butter.
- Spread the crumbs evenly into the prepared pan and press down to pack it firmly. Place in the freezer to chill while preparing the next layer (about 5 minutes)
- In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy.
- Mix in 8 oz of whipped topping until combined.
- Spread mixture evenly over chilled Oreo crust and chill until set.
- To make the pudding layer, add the pudding mix into a large bowl.
- Gradually mix in the milk until the pudding is thick and creamy.
- Spread the pudding layer onto the chilled cream cheese layer and let chill for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once chilled, spread on the remaining whipped topping (8 oz) and sprinkle on the mini chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly set (about 2 hours) and ready to serve.