(Dec 31. 2014 Video and more pics coming soon!! Wanted to get this recipe up before New Years in case anyone was looking for a quick appetizer!)
Honestly you guys…I wasn’t even going to post this recipe for these bacon wrapped smokies because I felt like they needed a dip to go with them and I just didn’t have time to run back out to the store in holiday chaos for more ingredients for the dip I wanted to make.
BUUUUUT my husband and son said I HAD to post these and that they didn’t need a dip at all. Really…hmmm ok. They loved these classic little things and you would have seriously thought they were eating candy. I guess it’s a guy thing.
These bacon wrapped smokies did grow on me though after I made a simple mayo-ketchup dip to go with them. ( I love me a dip honey!) I’ve made these bacon wrapped smokies before and made a creamy coleslaw dip to go with them that is fabulous (just basically pureeing homemade cole slaw and adding in more of the coleslaw “sauce mixture” to make it creamier. Sounds so gross but it’s really good with these) Another day, another time I guess.
The mayo-ketchup dip was great with them as well and um hello…quick and easy! You just can’t go wrong with any type of sausage or meat and a mayo-ketchup sauce. I think it’s called fry sauce. Who would think a 2 ingredient dip can taste so good right?
These bacon wrapped smokies recipe is crazy easy as well. I think all appetizers should be easy, don’t you? Basically you’re just going to coat bacon strips in a simple mixture of brown sugar and chili powder, wrap them nice and snug around the lil smokies, stab them with a toothpick and roast them bad boys in the oven until the bacon is crisp.
And there you have; quick, simple, flavorful man meat candy that will disappear in record speed. You’re welc!
Watch me make these bacon wrapped lil smokies from start to finish!
Bacon Wrapped Smokies (Brown Sugar Chili)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted (if using a lean bacon like turkey)
- 1 lb. bacon I find the less fat on the bacon the better. I used turkey
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 14 oz. lil beef smokies cocktail sausages
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- few dashes hot sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a medium size baking sheet with foil paper and coat with melted butter. (if using lean bacon) Set aside.
- Cut bacon into thirds and place in a bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar and chili powder.
- Sprinkle bacon strips generously with the brown sugar mixture until both sides of each strip is well coated. (Reserve some of the mixture to sprinkle oven smokies before going into the oven.)
- Wrap one strip around the smokies and secure with a toothpick.
- (the wrapping part is not fun and pretty messy since the bacon will begin to release juices)
- Place smokies on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar chili mixture if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil until bacon is crisp around the edges (keep a close eye on them, you don't want to set the toothpicks on fire! Yikes!)
- When they come out place them on paper towels to drain.
- Make the fry sauce by combining ketchup and mayo. (taste best when left to sit for few hours in the fridge)
- Garnish with parsely flakes for a pop of color.