I just couldn’t stop eating these things. The fact that this recipe uses cool whip instead of frosting makes it even easier to down one after the other. She got the recipe from a Kraft magazine but I replaced the box cake with a scrumptious, moist homemade devils food cake and it made a perfect recipe even better in my opinion.
These chocolate peppermint cupcakes looks so festive around Christmas time, like something straight from a professional bakery. I think these would be great to take into work as a lil treat for the co-workers (if they deserve it) or to a school Christmas party.
They are easy, quick, festive and best of all, a great pairing of flavors and textures.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz cool whip
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus more for melting and drizzling over cool whip)
- 6-7 candy canes, crushed (reserve a portion for sprinkling)
- ) In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, unsweetened cocoa powder, & sugar.
- ) Next add in vegetable oil, hot coffee, and milk. Mix until combined
- ) Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- ) Fold in the chocolate chips and crushed candy canes.
- ) Pour into cupcake liners and bake at 325 for 15-20 minute. Be careful not to over-bake.
- ) Let cool completely
- ) Frost the cupcakes with cool whip. Drizzle on some melted
- chocolate and sprinkle on the remaining crushed candy canes.
Crush the candy canes into bits. If you leave them in large chunks they will sink to the bottom of the cupcake while baking and make the bottom of the cupcakes stick to the paper. The candy canes will melt while baking
The cupcakes will not have a coffee taste. The coffee just kicks up the flavor of the chocolate. I always add coffee to my baked chocolate desserts to enhance the chocolate flavor. Yum!
Wanna Use A Boxed Cake Instead? Follow this recipe for super moist results: