I love me some quesadillas! Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, a chicken and cheese quesadilla is what I always order. Something about that golden, crunch of the flour tortilla, gooey, melted cheese and tender chicken….so simple yet so divine.
Isaac loves them too and for the past week it’s what I’ve been making for lunch. They are so easy to whip up which is always a plus when it comes to lunch. I vary the fillings so that we don’t get bored. So far this week we’ve had spinach, gouda and chicken, roasted tomato and cheese, and this smoked chicken and cheese, all super delish!!!
You can use any kind of cheese with this really, but smoked cheeses really sets this one apart from your regular ol’ chicken and cheese quesadillas
Watch me make me these Smoked Chicken & Cheese Quesadillas from start to finish!
Smoked Chicken & Cheese Quesadilla
By Divas Can Cook
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ t. black pepper
- Pinch of cumin (optional)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 8-10 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- Mexican cheese blend
- Smoked Cheddar. finely shredded
- Smoked Gouda, finely shredded
- guacamole, salsa, sour cream (optional)
- Mix the seasonings together.
- Season chicken thighs generously with the seasoning (you may not need all of it)
- Heat a buttered skillet over medium heat.
- Cook thighs about 6-8 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and let cool.
- Cut or shred the chicken into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Toss in the diced tomatoes.
- Add butter to a grill pan over medium heat and place a tortilla in the center.
- On one side of the tortilla, add an even layer of mexican cheese blend, followed by a layer of chicken mixture and then a layer of smoked cheddar and smoked gouda.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over to cover the cheese and chicken. Press down on the quesadilla with a spatula.
- Let cook until cheese has melted. Reduce heat if needed.
- Serve hot with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.