Smoked Chicken & Cheese Quesadilla
I love me some quesadillas! Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, a chicken and cheese quesadilla is what I always order. Something about that golden, crunch of the flour tortilla, gooey, melted cheese and tender chicken….so simple yet so divine.
Isaac loves them too and for the past week it’s what I’ve been making for lunch. They are so easy to whip up which is always a plus when it comes to lunch. I vary the fillings so that we don’t get bored. So far this week we’ve had spinach, gouda and chicken, roasted tomato and cheese, and this smoked chicken and cheese, all super delish!!!
You can use any kind of cheese with this really, but smoked cheeses really sets this one apart from your regular ol’ chicken and cheese quesadillas
Watch me make me these Smoked Chicken & Cheese Quesadillas from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Smoked Chicken & Cheese Quesadilla
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- Pinch of cumin, optional
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 8-10 8 inch flour tortillas
- Mexican cheese blend
- Smoked Cheddar. finely shredded
- Smoked Gouda, finely shredded
- guacamole, salsa, sour cream (optional)
- Mix the seasonings together.
- Season chicken thighs generously with the seasoning (you may not need all of it)
- Heat a buttered skillet over medium heat.
- Cook thighs about 6-8 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and let cool.
- Cut or shred the chicken into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Toss in the diced tomatoes.
- Add butter to a grill pan over medium heat and place a tortilla in the center.
- On one side of the tortilla, add an even layer of mexican cheese blend, followed by a layer of chicken mixture and then a layer of smoked cheddar and smoked gouda.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over to cover the cheese and chicken. Press down on the quesadilla with a spatula.
- Let cook until cheese has melted. Reduce heat if needed.
- Serve hot with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.
Mexican Cheese Blend is just a bag of assorted cheeses tossed with mexican spices. You can get it at most grocery stores.
Feel free to jazz it up more with chopped bacon, jalepenos, minced red or green onions!
You can also use chicken breast if you are not a fan of chicken thighs.
I lightly butter my pan after each quesadilla. It really adds a nice buttery, crunch to the outside of the tortilla.
My son and I love this recipe. They never last more than a dinner and lunch!!
How do I make the guacamole?? I also followed your 7up pound cake recipe and it was great…
These were so delicious. My coworker said that he does NOT eat chicken thighs. I waited until he was done showering me in compliments and then told him that I’d used the thighs. This is a great recipe and I can’t wait to make these again!
Hey, are your recipe’s healthy conscience?? Ive been making your dishes for a while (and i LOVE them, so does my hubby) but We just started the eating healthy route. So that’s why i’m asking.