“Here’s how to make crisp, cheesy fried mozzarella stick bites that are easy to make and fun to eat!’
Watch me make these homemade mozzarella cheese stick bites from start to finish!
I think I have fried more food this year than I have in the past 5 years combined! From amazing fried ice cream to chicken tenders, onion rings and fried green tomatoes! Not the healthiest but dear GAWD yum! Don’t judge me.
I get on my lil frying kicks and can’t stop! Don’t worry, this too shall pass! As much as I try to avoid kitchen gadgets, I really want to try an air fryer? Have you tried one of those yet? If so, let me know how you like it. It looks really promising!
Today I want to share with you guys this freakin awesome and crazy easy recipe for fried mozzarella stick bites! The boys had these at a restaurant once and have been begging me to make them at home.
Gosh, these little guys are so delicious yall!! The outside is so golden, crisp and well-seasoned and that gooey, luscious, hot cheese! Mercy! I think I prefer my mozzarella cheese sticks in bite sizes now.
I’m using one of my favorite cheats, CRUSHED CROUTONS!! Anytime a recipe calls for plain breadcrumbs I always mix in some crushed croutons! They are already so highly-seasoned and produces the best texture ever when mixed with panko! No need to add any additional seasonings. Awesome right!?
All you need to make these tasty mozzarella cheese sticks all you’ll need is a block of mozzarella cheese, egg, milk, flour, panko and croutons! Oh yeah and some really awesome marinara sauce! I used this super easy homemade marinara sauce recipe. We love it!
Eventually, I’ll get around to trying different cheeses with this one. I think jalapeno cheddar would be fabulous!
It’s really best to use a deep fryer when making mozzarella cheese sticks but a deep skillet will work as well. Just be sure to keep an eye on it and use a slotted spoon to quickly lift them out before the cheese starts oozing out.
Be sure the hot or you’ll have some soggy oily mozzarella cheese sticks on your hand! Ick!
I’ve made these before using string cheese and while they were really good, I just prefer using the block of mozzarella as it seems to still remain a stretchy & cheesy even after it’s cooled. It’s really good with Monterey cheese as well.
- 1 lb block mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 (5 oz) bag seasoned-croutons, finely crushed
- ½ cup Italian seasoned panko
- vegetable oil, for frying
- marinara sauce, for dipping (optional)
- parsley (garnish)
- In a bowl add flour. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together eggs and water until uniform in color. Set aside.
- In the final bowl mix together crushed croutons and panko. Set aside.
- Coat the cheese cubes with flour, shaking off excess.
- Next place the cheese into the egg mixture, allowing the egg mixture to soak into the flour.
- Remove the cheese from the egg mixture and let excess drip off.
- Last, place the cheese into the crouton mixture, pressing the mixture into the cheese so every side is completely covered.
- Once all cheese has been prepped, heat oil in a deep fryer.
- Fry until golden, about 20 -30 seconds (I always do a test round with 1 or 2 pieces)
- Let drain on paper towels on a cool rack.
- Garnish with parsely and serve hot with marinara sauce.