Old-Fashioned Chocolate Frosting
OLD-FASHIONED CHOCOLATE FROSTING MADE WITH HERSHEY’S COCOA POWDER! EASY, CREAMY HOMEMADE FROSTING THAT’S GREAT FOR CAKE AND CUPCAKES!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (do not melt)
- 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon natural butter flavoring
- pinch salt
In a large bowl mix together butter, powdered sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder. (mixture will be very grainy)
Mix in milk, vanilla extract, butter flavoring and salt, until creamy.
This frosting is thick but gets softer when stirred before spreading. If you prefer it thinner, add more milk but only a drop at a time. A little milk goes a long way.
This frosting will frost 24 cupcakes or a 9 x 13 cake. Whenever I want to do 2-layer cake I make the recipe as written plus a half recipe and this gives me the perfect amount of frosting without too much left over.