Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
How To Make Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Video Tutorial: Visual learner? Here’s how to make vegan buffalo cauliflower wings from start to finish!
“Omg, they taste just like chicken!” Uh, no, ma’am!! If someone tells you this about buffalo cauliflower wings, RUN! Run my child, and don’t look back!!
They DON’T taste like chicken. However, if you’re ready to up the ante on blah cauliflower and turn it into an addictive appetizer or snack, then you’re in the right place; keep reading!
When the whole cauliflower-everything craze started, I rolled my eyes. I boo and hiss at pretty much every healthy fad movement like keto fat bombs, energy bites, and green smoothies. It’s not that I have anything against healthy options. I love them. It’s just when they come with claims like “you won’t miss pizza crust once you taste this cauliflower crust”. See what I mean? Come’on, there is no way I wouldn’t miss yeasty, greasy delicious pizza crust when compared to cauliflower. No. Way. The lies and deceit!!
Yep, I pretty much avoid the health food trends altogether. Hoooooowever, I have severe food fomo (fear of missing out) and it always gets the best of me. Eventually I come crashing down and cave to the pressure. One day I’ll learn to stop fighting the wave and go with it!
Give me all the food trends!
So today, we are riding that wave!! It’s time for some Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings!! I know you’ve seen these things floating around the web, right? Especially since everybody is all vegan-ey and keto-ey these days.
I first had buffalo cauliflower wings a couple of years ago when my vegan sister brought over a plate for my family to try. My kids devoured them in one sitting. Being that cauliflower is one of my least favorite vegetables, I was a bit hesitant, but to my surprise, they were delicious!!
Pair these “wings” with some ranch or blue cheese dressing, and my goodness gracious!
These vegan buffalo cauliflower wings have that nice, crisp buffalo flavored baked right in, so they aren’t saucy or messy! The cauliflower is tender to the bite and perfect for snacking!
How to Make the BEST Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Use seasoned croutons. Croutons (or panko) gives these wings such an excellent crisp texture. I’ve made buffalo cauliflower wings using a batter, but the dredging method works the best IMO!
- Use good vegan brands. Vegan brands vary significantly in taste. I tested two different vegan “eggs” before finding a brand that didn’t taste weird. The brands I’ve listed in this recipe are a favorite because they “don’t taste vegan” and will give you great results. I can’t vouch for other vegan brands but feel free to experiment.
- BROIL!! You must broil these buffalo cauliflower wings after you toss them in the buffalo sauce. If not, you will pretty much be snacking on soggy buffalo cauliflower wings, ick! Broiling cooks that flavor right on in and gives it a nice crisp coating.
- Cut in bite-sized pieces. Cut the florets into bite-sized pieces, and cut off as much of the stem off as possible without making the florets separate into tiny pieces. This gives them a more “wing” of “nugget” appearance.
Can I make these with non-vegan ingredients?
I’m sure you could! However, I’ve only had them made with the vegan ingredients listed in the recipe. I’ll make them using regular ingredients soon and report back too ya!
What can I serve with these vegan buffalo cauliflower wings?
Typically, they are served as an appetizers along with carrots and celery just like regular buffalo wings. If serving as a meal they are great with homemade baked fries!
What dips can I use for buffalo cauliflower wings?
Ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing works great for these! Use a vegan brand if you are using other vegan ingredients. Also a side of buffalo sauce is also a nice touch for those who like things saucy!
How To Make Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings in 5-steps
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
- Dip the florets in flour, then in egg, and croutons.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for about 12 minutes.
- Mix together buffalo sauce, butter and garlic powder and the dip each baked floret into the buffalo sauce.
- Place bake on the baking sheet, let sit for about 10 minutes and then broil 4-5 minutes. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Easy peasy right?! These vegan buffalo wings are a real crowd-pleaser! If you have vegan friends over and you need a appetizer that will impress the vegans and non-vegan, go with this!!
Get the Recipe: Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 12 oz cauliflower florets
- 5 oz vegan seasoned croutons, crushed into fine crumbs, (I used Fresh Gourmet Organics Seasoned brand)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan eggs, ( I used Just Egg brand)
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, ( I used Texas Pete brand)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted, ( I used Earth Balance brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Sides & Dips
- carrots & celery (optional) & Ranch/Blue Cheese Dressing
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease or line a baking tray with foil. Set aside.
Prep The Cauliflower
- Wash and completely dry the cauliflower. Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, cutting off as much stem as possible without making the florets break apart into tiny pieces. Set aside.
Coat the Cauliflower
- Using three separate bowls, place the crushed croutons in one bowl, the flour into the other bowl and the egg into the last bowl.
- To bread the cauliflower, using one hand, first toss the cauliflower completely and VERY lightly into the flour, shaking off excess and then place cauliflower into the egg bowl.
- Using your other hand, toss the cauliflower into the egg mixture until none of the flour is visible, shaking off the excess. Place cauliflower into the crouton bowl.
- Using your dry hand, coat the cauliflower with the croutons, packing it on so that it sticks until completely coated. Shake off the excess.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce by mixing buffalo sauce, butter and garlic powder into a large bowl. Set aside.
- When the cauliflower comes out of the oven, toss them one at at time in the the buffalo sauce using a slotted spoon. Allow the excess sauce to drip off. Place them back on the baking sheet.
- When all the cauliflower has been coated allow them to sit on the baking sheet for about 10-15 minutes to allow the coating to dry a little.
- Broil on low for 4-5 minutes until crisp. Keep an eye on it, since broiling happens fast.
- Serve immediately with carrot & celery sticks.
- Serve with additional buffalo sauce, ranch or blue cheese dressing (vegan) for dipping.