Twix Caramel Popcorn
Ok now before y’all go getting all mad at me for ruining your diets with this crunchy, sweet, salty, chocolatly addictive, twix caramel popcorn, let me just say you have no one to blame but yourselves!!
I was simply minding my business on twitter and posted that I just made some super yummy twix caramel popcorn,which I had no intentions of posting the recipe by the way, and yall went ballistic for me to do a video. And since you all have me so tightly wrapped around your fingers, how could I possible say no????
Yep I had to drag myself into the kitchen and whip up AND eat yet ANOTHER batch of twix caramel popcorn. Uhh!! This food blogging thing is so hard….sooooo……do you guys wanna see ANOTHER twix popcorn video? I mean…I don’t mind reshooting it if you need to see it from a different angle…just saying.
Ha! No but seriously, I made this stuff and fell in love! We have movie night every friday at my house and normally we just do regular buttered popcorn but after searching the web for something different I came across a recipe for twix caramel popcorn. (twopeasinapod.com you should be ashamed of yourself for posting this recipe but May God Bless YOU forever!!) I originally set out to find a butterfinger popcorn recipe but since we all love Twix in my family, I knew this would be a crowd pleaser.
This popcorn is….is….what’s the word I’m looking for here…RIDICULOUS!! It’s sweet but with the perfect amount of saltiness from the popcorn. The homemade caramel blows the store-bought caramel popcorn out of the water and that semi-sweet chocolate drizzle *swoon*
Oh and don’t even get me started on when you find that perfect piece in the bowl where the twix is stuck to the caramel popcorn….honey hush!!!
Why don’t I just stop right there and tell you to go make it. Run child. Run like the wind to get these ingredients. You’ll hate and love me at the same time. Promise.
Watch me make this twix caramel popcorn from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Twix Caramel Popcorn
- 1 bag popcorn, popped (about 9 cups) (I used Orville's Naturals Simply Salted)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 fun-size twix bars, chopped ( can use more)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 250.
- In a medium-size pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, salt, and corn syrup.
- Let simmer for 2-3 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over popcorn.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir the popcorn and get it evenly coated.
- Spread popcorn on a foil lined baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, tossing and stirring the popcorn every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven when most of the caramel sauce has been absorbed and let cool until hardened. (this took 30 minutes in my oven)
- Break up the cooled caramel popcorn.
- Sprinkle on the chopped twix bars and drizzle on the chocolate.
- Let sit until chocolate is hardened. ( I place mine in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up this process)
- Store in airtight container.
Watch the caramel sauce carefully. Burnt caramel is awful!! I know!
Variety anyone? Try it with peanut m&m's, butterfingers, Snickers, whoppers, ETC.
Popcorn will be soft when it comes out of the oven, but will harden fast.
Use light brown sugar for a lighter caramel color.