Watch me make these Sweet Dinner Rolls from start to finish!
I wish my waist-line loved dinner rolls as much as I do. It CLEARLY does not, but I’m just gonna have to worry about that later because the words for today are: SWEET DINNER ROLLS!!! But not just any sweet dinner rolls people. These uh-maaay-zing homemade honey butter dinner rolls.
They. Are. Everything! Everything I tell ya!! Soft, golden, buttery, squishy, chewy, yeasty, sweet, dinner roll. I can smell them as I type and they’ve been out of the oven for an hour. There are only a few homemade yeast roll recipes that I can make being that yeast hates me. Seriously it does, I say it all the time. This recipe and my grandma barb’s yeast roll recipe are my favs! They always come out so beautiful and leaves me feeling like a BOSS honey!! And y’all I really get to thinking I’m all that when I can whip up a big homemade spread AND some addictive scratch-made dinner rolls to boot. Work chile!
If you aren’t very good at making homemade dinner rolls then try out this recipe. It’s quick, easy and uses simple ingredients that I’m willing to bet that you have in your kitchen right now. Oh yeah, and it doesn’t even require a bread machine or kneading.
Oh and don’t even THINK about skipping that whipped honey butter! It is soooo good! It really takes these sweet dinner rolls from tasting “oh these are really good” to “ohhhh yaaaas laaawd jeezuuusss!” (I’m in such rare form today, just ride with me m-kay. I need a nap.) You can even add in cinnamon or pumpkin spice to really give these a kick.
If you’re not into having a “sweet” dinner roll then just make up a butter mixture with savory herbs. #winning
Sweet Dinner Rolls (No Bread Machine)
- 1/3 cup very warm water
- 1 envelope active dry yeast 2 1/4 tsp
- 5 Tablespoons + 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm whole milk
- 1 large egg slightly beaten (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tablespoons butter chopped and softened
- 4 cups all-purpose flour may need more
- HONEY BUTTER
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
- In a small bowl add warm water.
- Sprinkle in the yeast and 1/4 teaspoon of sugar.
- Stir gently until combined.
- Let mixture rest for 10 minutes until foamy.
- Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl and add 5 tablespoons sugar, warm milk, egg, salt, and butter.
- Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add in flour, mixing well after each addition. (you will need to switch to using a rubber spatula once the mixture becomes a sticky dough)
- Transfer dough to a large, greased bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free area for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Grease knuckles and punch dough down to release the air.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface.
- Add just enough flour to dough and hands to handle dough without it sticking to your hands.
- Divide dough into two equal balls.
- Roll out the balls into 13-inch circles (like a pizza)
- Slice the dough with a pizza cutter into small wedges.
- Brush dough with honey butter.
- Flour your fingertips and roll each wedge up starting at the widest end.
- Place rolls on a greased cookie sheet, pointed tip tucked under.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area until rolls are doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Brush hot rolls with leftover honey butter.
- Serve hot!
- To Make Honey Butter: Combine all honey butter ingredients. Stir until creamy.
The yeast MUST become foamy.